Spare tyre different brand to main tyres? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Feb 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Spare tyre different brand to main tyres?

Hi, I bought a brand new C300 about a year and a half ago. Came with sport conti 3's. Got a puncture and took it to this tyre joint. When I got the car back I had a look at the spare wheel and it had a bridgestone tyre on it.

I think the tyre shop might have pulled the new conti off the spare and used that to replace the punctured tyre, and chucked some crappy bridgestone on the spare.

Before i go nuts I wanted to check if mercedes would use a different brand tyre for the spare or not.

Regards, Michael
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 12:57 AM
Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
With the full sized spares they came with a tire that matched the car's tires when it was new.
Is the Bridgestone now on the spare a new tire, or is it used? They may have pulled a fast one.
That would be despicable if they charged you for a new Conti and then put a Bridgestone they had in stock as the spare. There should be production numbers on the Conti. If they all match then it probably was your spare being swapped instead of getting a new one. The production numbers molded into the tire sidewall change weekly so that the original production date can determined on tires sold in the US. I know that other countries also mandate the info be on the tires. Most major brand tires use the DOT numbers used in the US for the info. Here is a link on how to determine the week and year a tire was made.
Tire Tech Information - Determining the Age of a Tire
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 09:52 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1070 Post(s)
Mercedes is doing strange things with spare tires.
E class W210 wagons do have full size spares, but on different color rim and it is limited service wheel. I could never figure out what stands behind this set up, especially that sedans do have normal wheel as spare.
Now in your case, I could believe that the shop used your original spare tire to replace cut tire and put different brand tire on spare wheel. All it would take is giving them a phone call?
If you have full service spare, you want the same brand/type tire on it as you could rotate the spare into service. If the spare is limited service only, that doesn't matter much.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: