Hello all. I've been here a few times, but am really about to get out of my element with this. For our third Benz, we're doing the European Delivery Program (EDP).
We had a 2006 C280 4matic, and currently have a 2009 E350 sedan. The E350 is leased; the lease is coming to its end shortly (end of June or thereabouts).
We test drove a 2013 E350 coupe, and my wife fell in love with it. There's precious little out there about the EDP, but we've decided to go for it. We put down our initial, $2K deposit this past weekend, on a 2014 as they're retooling now. They can't even order the car yet - it's not available to spec out. It's going to be that deep blue over tan, with darn near every available option.
A few things I do know, which may be of interest to others considering EDP:
- The program can apply to leased cars
- If applied to a leased car, they can add time to the end of the new lease to compensate for the time the new car was being shipped.
- You can keep your existing lease while your new car is being shipped.
- If you're coming out a MB lease, and have a new MB on order, you can keep the existing lease up to three extra months until your new car arrives.
So, we're looking to be among the very first 2014 E350 coupe owners in the US.
Our plan thus far is to fly into Frankfurt and take the ICE (Inter City Express) train down to Stuttgart, probably staying overnight before taking delivery the next day. Frankfurt airfare is far lower than anything going into Stuttgart, BTW, and the ICE seems to run about $100 per person one way.
We're then going to do the Black Forest Rally package, which constitutes something like a giant backwards apostrophe across Germany. Here's my Google Map
attempt of the route.
That includes all the stops I could figure out of the Black Forest Rally, plus a little extra. I had to stop in Munich, of course, and since we're planning on leaving from Frankfurt, I had to at least try to go visit the Nurburgring. I know the insurance provided by Mercedes does not cover tracking the car, but I'd be more than satisfied to take a ring taxi around. I'd actually be far more comfortable with that, if I'm honest.
So, has anyone done this recently? Are there pointers to be had?
- Flying over: my wife has a bad back; we're thinking of going Business Class for the better accomodations. Does MB have any arrangements with Lufthansa anymore?
- I was in Germany in 1989 as a teenager; at that time, I could rely on my parents as translators. Are we insane to go over to Germany now, speaking only English?
- Is there anywhere specifically we should plan on spending more time than others? I saw a 2010 review that suggested an extra night at the Interaplen resort would be a great idea.
- As we haven't had any official contact from the MB EDP people, if anyone has current information on the Black Forest Rally it would be most welcome.
Thanks in advance for any input.
-Dan, aka Thunder