LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Rear suspension

I have a 2005 e500 tonite I went out to the mercedes opened the { drivers door don't know if it had anything to do with what happened but the rear left side went down 2 to three inches and it released air from where the air pump location. whats going on is it normal or what? Please let me know. Thanks Greg ohh by the way the car is off.

Last edited by Greger90; 02-19-2013 at 10:19 PM. Reason: more info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 10:40 PM

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
The hose from the pump may have ruptured or the pump itself failed bleeding all the air out of the system.
Pumps are $300 from Arnott. If you pull the left front wheel off and remove the fender liner you will find the pump. It is not a difficult fix.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
where is this hose noodles

Hi noodles do you really think its the air pump? by the way Noodles is there a special way of jacking these car up so I don't mess anything up? Thanks Greg Noodles it only one wheel.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 12:41 AM

Lifetime Premium Member
I don't know what it is without seeing it, but if you are sure that is where the sound came from that is where I would start to diagnose.
Jacking can only take place at the lift points on the car. They are rubber blocks on the bottom of the plastic rocker panels. Two on each side of the car. If you use a floor jack make sure the round lift cup does only touches the black rubber lift block or it will distort your rocker panel which can crack the paint.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 08:35 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 87 560SL, 71 280SL euro, 74 VW Ghia, 78 280Z Black Pearl, 78 280Z, 04 Corolla, 07 Odyssey, 94 Prizm
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
does the car actually drop all the way to the floor?? i know some of the vehicles with full air-matic at times will just release air and drop an inch or two and stop. I would not worry too much about it unless you notice that the vehicle is completely low to the ground after it sits overnight or after a few days. If it maintains its stance relatively well, i would not worry too much about it. The hissing noise you heard is from the release valve located on the air compressor.

If in case you do have problems and the vehicle falls to the floor in the back, the most likely scenerio is a leaking air bag. In order to replace those properly, you need a lift and you need to remove the entire rear subframe to replace the air bags. Warranty time for rear air bag replacement is 5.1h for one, 5.3h for both. Also, there is a specific procedure to inflate and install the air bags. When they are not installed properly, the air bags will not last long and you will end up damaging the new air bag. This is not a DIY project. You need shop equipment and you need access to a Star Diagnosis system. Also, with your vehicle being an E500, you have SBC brakes. Those have to be deactivated when doing this repair, since if the system activates, you will throw out your caliper piston. I have seen it happen.

Cheers!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Rear suspension

Hello Ozzy thanks for the input / by the way it doesn't go all the way to the floor it goes down around 2 to 3 inches in the rear drivers side then stays there , but as it drops there is some hissing or release of air as it comes down. Then pumps up when turn on and pump goes off and on when it driven. I was wondering why would one wheel come down and not the rest? The car is a 2005 is there still a warranty on the air bags? Bought some arnott replacement bags but if its under warranty might as use that instead. Just wondering is this a air pump problem or is this just normal? Any feed back would be appreciated. Thanks Greg
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 01:41 PM

Lifetime Premium Member
In this case with the added info it sounds like the air spring itself has gone bad. No warranty on a 2005 unless you have some sort of 3rd party coverage.

The Arnotts are a good choice. The sooner you change them the less strain there will be on the compressor. With the Arnotts you will not need the air pressure reservoir any longer. No need to remove it. Just plug up the hose to it very well.

The Arnotts come with good instructions and you can call them if you have any questions before you start the job. Ideally you can do this on a lift. It will save you a lot of time and make it a safer job to complete.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in