BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2013
Vehicle: '99 C230K
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Clunk noise in front susp.

I have a low speed clunk coming from the passenger front wheel area and I can't figure out what it is. It is recent within 2 months and I have since had the control arm bushings replaced, wheel bearings replaced, and the entire tie-rod assy is new as well. The ball joints have no play in them. There has been no change in the noise since the work was performed. I still need to replace the dampner. Any thoughts?

Edit: I forgot to say this is on a '99 C230

Last edited by Chisel86; 02-16-2013 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Added vehicle info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 12:27 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2012
Vehicle: 2006 CLS 500
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You didn't mention the shock or shock bushings or sway bar bushings/swaybar link bushings. I don't know if your car has a sub-frame with mounts but that could be a source if it does.

Have you tried bouncing the car by pushing down on the bumper and then letting it rebound?

Sound travels easily through metal and the problem may not be coming from exactly where you think it is. Take a passenger and let them listen, find a road where the sound happens consistently, stand in that spot on the side of the road and listen when the car drives by.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 12:30 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2012
Vehicle: 2006 CLS 500
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, maybe not stand exactly in the spot... sheesh
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2013
Vehicle: '99 C230K
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Well that would sure make a clunk! Or more like a thud! lol

These cars do not have a separate subframe. I hadn't thought about the sway bar mounting points, I will look at them, but I do believe they are solid. I do know that the shocks are original to the car (93k miles) and I should replace them, but I didn't notice any problems with the bushings last weekend while I was working on it. I also know that my steering dampner is shot and I will be replacing that soon.

I have sat shotgun and can definitely hear the sound from in front of me and towards the floor. I cannot replicate the sound by bouncing the car while its at a standstill.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 08:45 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 87 560SL, 71 280SL euro, 74 VW Ghia, 78 280Z Black Pearl, 78 280Z, 04 Corolla, 07 Odyssey, 94 Prizm
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I recommend replacing the shock absorbers. Just because they are not leaking, it doesn't mean they do not make any noise. With the amount of miles, I can rest assure you that it is probably a shock absorber. The easiest test to know if it is a shock absorber or a sway bar issue is by removing the sway bar with the links and driving it carefully (no harsh turning). If the noise goes away, it is either a swary bar bushing or a sway bar link. While they are off, check the play of the sway bar links. If the noise is still present and there is no play in your suspension, then the most likely cause is the shock absorber. If you are going to replace them, while you are at it, change the support mounts and take care of all this issue at the same time and save in labor. You will need a special tool to release the mount from the shock. Check with your local dealer to see how much time it is going to take for both shocks.

Cheers!!!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 08:47 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 87 560SL, 71 280SL euro, 74 VW Ghia, 78 280Z Black Pearl, 78 280Z, 04 Corolla, 07 Odyssey, 94 Prizm
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
By the way, this car does have a front and rear subframe. The bushings on that are the least of your concerns. I have yet to see one go bad, but you can make sure that the bolt is not loose. Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in