BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jan 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
'99 E320 P0410
Did my homework & troubleshot the system. MIL was coming on after as little as 50 miles with a few engine-offs in between. P0410 comes up each time.
Here is what I found during my troubleshooting;
1) air pump is fine, blows strong at start-up
2) vacuum solenoid works fine, vacuum at both check-valves & both check-valves work fine
3) O2 sensor seems to be functioning as it should (watched it vary within limits on computer screen readout).
4) R&R'd both check-valves and both ports into the head were clogged with black crud.
5) picked out crud w/a small jewelers screwdriver then blew out resultant crumbly bits w/compressed air
6) passages are clean for the short length I can see but I have no idea how deep they go & how many twists & turns there are (is there a head cutaway pic somewhere?) so I do not know if the clogs continue deeper into the head (I suspect they do).
7) Reset the MIL & ran the car for over 50 miles then got it tested
8) it failed due to "readiness"
9) MIL came back on when I started up the car to leave the emissions shop.
So I have a few Q's.
1 - How far does this car need to run before the computer readiness toggle clears?
2 - If I spray throttle body cleaner or some other cleaner down the clogged ports, do I risk killing the CATs?
3 - Will spraying out the ports help or are they so twisty it would be an exercise in futility?
4 - If I do spray them out, should I do it with the engine off or running?
5 - Can I clear the ports with a long bushy wire implement such as a pipe cleaner? Or do they go too deep?
Thanks in advance...