LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jan 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
What is the best oil for 430e

I'll like to know what is best syntetic engine oil for 1999 430E. This is first time that I have this model, I had 300E before. Also I'll like to know is it have time belt or chain. Alaso what is recomended oil for drivetrain. It is automtic, and I had stick before.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 05:03 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: 2004 CLK320
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I would use what the dealerships use. For my 2004 CLK320, I use Mobil One 0w40. This has been the designated choice of engine oil for Mercedes for many years. Not sure if this goes back for 1999.

One thing you can do is to call the dealership, give them your VIN and ask for the oil type. You can then choose if you want to buy from them or not. Also, you can ask them for the price of the timing belt or chain.

They would not tell you the part numbers but they are generally helpful for general inquiries.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 09:43 PM
Date registered: Dec 2012
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes, good information by mis3
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 09:40 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1059 Post(s)
Dealers are known to use the cheaper oil they can buy in bulk, than the one MB recommend.
We do have MB oil sheets linked on the forum lot of times, so this is the matter of punching the question in the search window.
99 E430 is W210 body and that section is very active in helping, so don't hesitate to go there and start with reading the stickies.
Per my knowledge the best oil available in US is Mobil 1 0-w40, but you chose not to disclosure your location, so our hands are tied in more precise advise.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 08:04 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 87 560SL, 71 280SL euro, 74 VW Ghia, 78 280Z Black Pearl, 78 280Z, 04 Corolla, 07 Odyssey, 94 Prizm
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Although it is true that dealers use bulk oil, it does not necesarily mean they use cheaper oil. It costs less because it is bought in bulk and no individual containers. I work at MB and our bulk oil is Mobil 1 Formula M 5w40 synthetic. When we work on diesels, we don't use our bulk oil, but use individual bottle Mobil1 Formula ESP for diesel exhaust protection. Since dealerships have to follow manufacturer protocols and processes, they have to use approved oils and lubricants. At our dealer, we don't use treatments not approved by MB. Your E430 has a 32 valve 8 cylinder engine. It has a timing chain, but unless you are having rattles with timing, you do not need to replace the chain. I have worked on engines with over 200k miles still running strong with the original chain. When it goes to your transmission oil, do not use any Dextron or any other type of transmission oil. MB makes a specific oil for their automatic transmissions. This oil can be purchased at your local MB dealer. Any other lubricant used that is not approved by MB will lead to poor shift quality, Cheers
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: