post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
starting problems

Hi all
I have a ML270 and have been very pleased with it, everything was ticketyboo for a while then i noticed one of the injectors was chuffing .got the parts delivered (parts are very expensive in France so i order online at half the price),got the mechanic to reseat all the injectors and fit new bolts on the clamps,very pleased with the job.The battery was flat so we jumped started it and then start error appeared on the dash and now the car won't start.I trickle charged the battery and refitted it but when i connected both terminals the alarm went off everytime,and i could not stop it with the key ,so i had to disconnect the battery again,i got replacement batteries for the fob but that has not helped,any ideas or tips would be welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 06:32 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
You must have broken a SAM (or something similar) when you jump-started the car. Have it diagnosed and replace the faulty control units.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 10:38 PM

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
The ML 163s are notorious for killing keys with dead batteries and jump starting. The rolling code that is exchanged between the key and the anti theft electronics gets scrambled and can render a key useless.

If you have the valet key or a second key it will probably start just fine. Do not attempt to start it with another key until the battery is fully charged or replaced. It could kill another key.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 09:16 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 87 560SL, 71 280SL euro, 74 VW Ghia, 78 280Z Black Pearl, 78 280Z, 04 Corolla, 07 Odyssey, 94 Prizm
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Noodles has a point. If you get "Start Error" on your instrument cluster, try another key with a well charged battery. Your key may have gone "au revoir". to my experience, they do not give any indication of when they go "au revoir". it just fails without notice. If you have to purchase another key, you will need to go to your local MB dealer to obtain a key. It will come programmed to the vehicle and it should start (if it is a key issue and not any other Drive Authorization issue).
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 01:07 PM

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
The very early years of the W163 did not say start error on the cluster. They engine just died within 2-3 seconds of starting.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 09:09 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 87 560SL, 71 280SL euro, 74 VW Ghia, 78 280Z Black Pearl, 78 280Z, 04 Corolla, 07 Odyssey, 94 Prizm
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
as "early W163" you are referring to 1998 1999, they do say start error. I mostly see this message on the early models since the Drive Authorization is located in the All Activity Module. Model year 2000 onward had the Drive Authorization System located in the Extended Activity Module located under the dashboard inside. They are two units in one. I have replaced several of those modules before. If you do not get a "Start Error" message on the cluster, you might want to get it professionally diagnosed, as it can be an AAM, EAM, DAS, or any other component. Easiest thing to try is another key. Just on a note, on early W163 with Drive Authorization System located inside the All Activity Module, there are only 8 total available keys. If you run out of all the key tracks, you will have to replace all locks, AAM, Engine control module, and keys. Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in