LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jan 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1980 Mercedes 300 CD wont turn over now

I have read many forums on here and was wondering if someone could possibly help.

I bought this car about a year ago and since then everything's been great-replaced glow plugs, regular oil changes, regular fuel filter changes(both), new battery, new fuel return lines as well as the lines that go from filter to pump to filter, vacuum lines, etc

What happened the other day was I went to start the car(mind you its winter in Michigan so about 20-30 degrees, still not freezing though) and it started like normal but after about 2-3 min it shut off completely.
I know its bad but I even tried a little ether hoping to get it started to check for fuel leaks, etc.
Since then I can not get it to start.
It will cycle through glow plug light on dashboard and it cranks over but does not fire

I replace fuel filters(both) and could suck diesel(GROSS LOL) all the way through the lines to the injectors so I dont think its clogged there. However, I tried pumping my primer pump and before it would spill diesel out and now it doesnt and I do not hear any pressure being built up(I have the older turn up and push down ones that are clear/white) ???

I've read on here it could be something from O-rings letting air into the system to my fuel tank filter being clogged to my pump went out. But what O rings? The ones on the fuel filter??

On my list of possible culprits are Glow Plugs(maybe one broke as I have the older loop ones), clogged fuel line, air in fuel line, o ring went bad, fuel pump went bad.

Last edited by courtneythink; 01-09-2013 at 05:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 09:22 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum.
The engine is most popular in W123 section and that is where you can get more direct responses.
If you priming pump is not pumping - you have good pointer. Tank strainer is first suspect to me.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: