LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2011
Vehicle: 1993 300SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Battery charging... the details (R129, CTEK 7002)

Have the usual situation with a classic ('92 300SL) that doesn't get driven much. Bought a http://www.amazon.com/CTEK-Multi-7002-Battery-Charger/dp/B000FRLO9Y, which seems to work nicely.

The 100 Ah Made-in-Spain battery is in the right side of the trunk. I hooked up the "permanent" fittings to the + and - terminals with the idea of plugging in the charger and leaving it, maybe for months at a time.

1. With this type of charger (which isn't overdriving voltage and boiling the battery), do I need to loosen the battery caps? I've always done this (40+ years) whenever hooking up any charger, even though my brain says batteries must be able to vent themselves.

2. To confirm, the reason why one always hooks up the negative "jumper" away from the battery is to avoid sparks. Since the charger is unplugged (and on the garage floor) when 0I'm hooking up the charger connector to the permanently installed battery jumpers, this is no problem, right?

3. Do I need to have the trunk propped open for ventilation when the charger is just doing normal maintenance charging? Again, it seems like Mercedes didn't worry about this since the trunk is closed when the car is being driven and charged, but there's probably more ventilation in the trunk in motion than just sitting in the garage.

Thanks for any reasoned advice. Happy New Year.

http://www.amazon.com/CTEK-Multi-7002-Battery-Charger/dp/B000FRLO9Y
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 01:31 PM
R129 HTT Founder Member

Date registered: Sep 2012
Vehicle: 040 1996 SL500, 775U 2008 R350 4Matic
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
I have something similar in my R129 its the Batter Tender Jr. I actually fished the wire through the vent located below the battery. The quick connecter then comes out between the vent and bumper cap, when not in use I just tuck the quick connector up into the bumper and when I need to plug it in I just pull it down. I never leave the trunk open nor do I open/unscrew the battery caps, and no issues so far. Hope that helps.

-Pete

1996 SL500 Photo Collection Updated 01-14-16

Mercedes aren't for people who want to have one, it's for people who can have one.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 07:27 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2012
Vehicle: V230 VIN No. VSA638234-23-071305
It is a nightmare with V230 (RHD) of Year 1998. The huge battery together with numerous fuses are located under the left seat which needs to be moved to a forward position ( after loosening six machine threaded screws with washers ) in order to gain access to the battery. It is essential for changing the battery but if just for re-charging, may be it can be done from the tiny opening on the side! I read about the possibility of removing the battery through the tiny opening but personnally, I think it is impossible. As the consequence, I am using maintenance free battery of shorter life-span because I do not want to go through the same process every 3-6 months!

There is a more spacious compartment with a top cover under the driver's seat so I wonder whether the LHD version has a better arrangement. I strongly believe that the top cover is designed for the battery ( and not specially for the CD changer ) so when the seat is slided to it most forward position, the battery is accessible easily.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 10:12 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2008
Hi
I have a battery conditioner
I just open the boot attach the positive to the battery and the negative to a bolt in the base of the boot near to the battery
I then turn the conditioner on and and align the cables with the area where the rhs of the boot closes. Then close the boot and leave with peace of mind
I hope this helps.......no need to remove the battery completely... No need to open breather caps etc

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 04:35 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieron View Post
Hi
I have a battery conditioner
I just open the boot attach the positive to the battery and the negative to a bolt in the base of the boot near to the battery
I then turn the conditioner on and and align the cables with the area where the rhs of the boot closes. Then close the boot and leave with peace of mind
I hope this helps.......no need to remove the battery completely... No need to open breather caps etc

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
You are talking about recharging the battery. It is true that cable for the recharger can be attached through the side opening but if one need to change the battery, there is no other alternative than to open the top.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 05:04 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

No you do not to remove any caps on the battery
The conditioner will only supply feed to the battery as and when it needs it as in when the likes of the alarm system draws power from the battery
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 05:05 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Oops
I thought we were talking about charging the battery not changing the battery
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 05:10 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

CTEK battery conditioners I have purchased through Costco for about £35 or sometimes if you subscribe to Car and classic they will send you one free for joining for a year . In other words it is free as it costs about the same as their membership
I hope this is of help to someone !!!!!!!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 06:29 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Having motorhome having total of 7 batteries and lot of other seasonal equipment, I have been dealing with batteries for years and here are few points I experienced.
1. read exactly what the charger does. For long storage you need battery MAINTAINER, with floating circuit that comes to about 13.5V and it will not go higher. Different manufactures call those things different names, so don't go by name, but go by technical data. "Battery tender, battery conditioner" can be all you might need, or nothing as those terms are used very loosely.
2. Maintainer will not boil or gas the battery and will not send voltage killing electronics in normal operation, so no venting and no battery disconnecting is necessary.
3. But each electronics are subject to occasional failure (what is mine real experience) so for long storage nothing beats disconnecting the battery, putting it on the bench and hook it up to maintainer there.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 06:30 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieron View Post
Oops
I thought we were talking about charging the battery not changing the battery
Yes, I was referring to changing the battery in a V230 Van.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in