Battery charging... the details (R129, CTEK 7002) - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 04:42 PM
R129 HTT Founder Member

Date registered: Sep 2012
Vehicle: 040 1996 SL500, 775U 2008 R350 4Matic
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
The OP asked for some pics so I hope this helps you somehow. The first pic is where the quick connect hangs from its basically coming down between the bumper cover and the metal of the car.

In the second pic you can see the vent next to the battery where I fished the quick connect through. Takes a little bit of fiddling to get it down but well worth it as when not in use I can simply cap and hide the quick connect up into the bumper cover, and when I do need to charge the trunk doesn't have to remain open.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6579.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	487806   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6581.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	487807  

1996 SL500 Photo Collection Updated 01-14-16

Mercedes aren't for people who want to have one, it's for people who can have one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 07:21 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
When you are making permanent connection, there is high risk of forgetting it and drive off without disconnecting.
2 common ways to avoid sometimes danger problems
1. make a reinforcement plugs that will disconnect in the direction of driving away
2. make a red flag with a note that you put on the steering wheel when the plug is in. When you disconnect the plug, it will go to the location of the plug or next to it.

Last edited by Kajtek1; 01-03-2013 at 07:26 PM.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 07:31 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2012
Vehicle: V230 VIN No. VSA638234-23-071305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete S View Post
The OP asked for some pics so I hope this helps you somehow. The first pic is where the quick connect hangs from its basically coming down between the bumper cover and the metal of the car.

In the second pic you can see the vent next to the battery where I fished the quick connect through. Takes a little bit of fiddling to get it down but well worth it as when not in use I can simply cap and hide the quick connect up into the bumper cover, and when I do need to charge the trunk doesn't have to remain open.
Just a practical question:

If the cables of the charger are permanently connected to the battery's +/- terminals, will there be constant discharge of battery power when the charger is not connected?
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 07:42 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrelstickler View Post
Have the usual situation with a classic ('92 300SL) that doesn't get driven much. Bought a CTEK 7002, which seems to work nicely.

The 100 Ah Made-in-Spain battery is in the right side of the trunk. I hooked up the "permanent" fittings to the + and - terminals with the idea of plugging in the charger and leaving it, maybe for months at a time.

1. With this type of charger (which isn't overdriving voltage and boiling the battery), do I need to loosen the battery caps? I've always done this (40+ years) whenever hooking up any charger, even though my brain says batteries must be able to vent themselves.

2. To confirm, the reason why one always hooks up the negative "jumper" away from the battery is to avoid sparks. Since the charger is unplugged (and on the garage floor) when 0I'm hooking up the charger connector to the permanently installed battery jumpers, this is no problem, right?

3. Do I need to have the trunk propped open for ventilation when the charger is just doing normal maintenance charging? Again, it seems like Mercedes didn't worry about this since the trunk is closed when the car is being driven and charged, but there's probably more ventilation in the trunk in motion than just sitting in the garage.

Thanks for any reasoned advice. Happy New Year.

Amazon.com: CTEK Multi US 7002 12V Battery Charger: Automotive
Since Peter S. has provided you with a equivalent solution, I will not offer any clues to
(1) & (2) but if I were you, I will not leave a battery charger sitting in the closed car boot for a month since the battery charger is plugged into a household electrical outlet of either 110 or 220V. One can not be more careful.....
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 08:29 PM
R129 HTT Founder Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryhsu View Post
Just a practical question:

If the cables of the charger are permanently connected to the battery's +/- terminals, will there be constant discharge of battery power when the charger is not connected?
No. Since it is just that a cable, and not hooked up to anything, it won't draw anything from the battery.

Mercedes aren't for people who want to have one, it's for people who can have one.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 09:35 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
No. Since it is just that a cable, and not hooked up to anything, it won't draw anything from the battery.
Noted. So you will only connect the charge cables to the +/- terminals when you intend the charge the battery! Do you wrap the connector located at the rear bumper to avoid road dirt?
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 09:39 PM
R129 HTT Founder Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryhsu View Post
Noted. So you will only connect the charge cables to the +/- terminals when you intend the charge the battery! Do you wrap the connector located at the rear bumper to avoid road dirt?
Correct I only plug it into the battery tender when I know I won't be driving it for a few days/weeks. If you look closely at the first pic you will actually see the cap that covers the exposed connectors. No way would I wedge it between the bumper cover and body if everything weren't covered, otherwise i could create some nasty a&$ shorts!

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 10:08 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Correct I only plug it into the battery tender when I know I won't be driving it for a few days/weeks. If you look closely at the first pic you will actually see the cap that covers the exposed connectors. No way would I wedge it between the bumper cover and body if everything weren't covered, otherwise i could create some nasty a&$ shorts!
I am not trying to argue the point but from the picture, I can see two cables coming our of the vent and the thinner cable is connected below the actual battery cable i.e. these two cables are connected permanently to your +/- terminals. Now it depends on how good is the insulation of the connector to prevent minimal power leakage.....

I am not an expert but I would connect and disconnect after each battery charging.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 02:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Getting paranoid, aren't we? Plugs with covers sticking outside are pretty common in industrial applications and unless they are exposed to salty spray they don't create problems.
On the other hand I had several of MB models parked armed for up to 5 weeks with nothing done to charge them and they all started on their own power. Sure I was not dealing with subfreezing temperatures, but that gives you idea how good those cars are.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 05:17 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
Getting paranoid, aren't we? Plugs with covers sticking outside are pretty common in industrial applications and unless they are exposed to salty spray they don't create problems.
On the other hand I had several of MB models parked armed for up to 5 weeks with nothing done to charge them and they all started on their own power. Sure I was not dealing with subfreezing temperatures, but that gives you idea how good those cars are.
Actually I was referring to the cables permanently attached to the battery's +/- terminals and asking the question whether there is minor leakage to somewhere? I had experience that the battery power could be deminished slowly and may be that is the reason for the need to recharge?

I would only connect the cable to the battery when I intend to recharge the battery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in