C class aftermarket wheels - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 02:18 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 87 560SL, 71 280SL euro, 74 VW Ghia, 78 280Z Black Pearl, 78 280Z, 04 Corolla, 07 Odyssey, 94 Prizm
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
For ESP in Mercedes-Benz vehicles, they use a number of sensors to establish stability. Besides having the wheel speed sensors, they also have a yaw rate sensor, steering angle sensor, brake switch, and an acceleration sensors. Engine speed, load, transmission gear selection, and actual gear in transmission information is shared via CAN bus (Controller Area Network) with ESP/BAS module. So much more than just the circumfrence of your wheels is involved, but it can have an effect. Even before having TPMS sensors, Mercedes would use wheel speed sensors to identify if a tire was going flat by the difference in wheels speed in comparison with the others. Now to note, if all four tires are leaking, the system will not detect if you have a tire going flat. This was called RDK.

I don't know if it is where you live in Ohio, but in my 24 years of working on vehicles, i have only seen 2 cases where a tire was going flat due to a porous wheel. One was my sister's 94 Buick Century and the other was a 2005 brand spanking new Nissan Titan. I have seen this in MB vehicles, but it has been due to a cracked rim (normally not an OEM wheel). I have replaced countless tires and have not really seen damage internally, unless the improper equipment has been used to replace a tire and poor work habits.

When it comes to brake dust, I DO know that MB vehicles produce a ton of brake dust. I have many customers complaining about this. Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done. Brake dust damage? I say it is for people who are lazy and do not clean their vehicles and cars frequently. The materials used in producing the MB brake components are softer than most other makes. Some of the brake pads are manufactured by Brembo for Mercedes. Softer material=more brake dust. The benefits?? Greater stopping power. I have had customers install aftermarket brakes in their Benzes and they end up with noises and clanking noises of brake pads not fitting properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 02:29 PM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 87 560SL, 71 280SL euro, 74 VW Ghia, 78 280Z Black Pearl, 78 280Z, 04 Corolla, 07 Odyssey, 94 Prizm
On another clarification note, the alloy is not suceptible to brake dust damage, only the exterior finish. Even when they are polished aluminum with MB wheels, they do have a protective coating finish. If the alloy is exposed to the environment, it would turn white and look like baby powder or something to that effect.
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 06:06 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2012
Vehicle: 1976 450SL
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In my 50 years of working on cars, Ive seen lots of cars with porous wheels that didnt hold air. Worse cases were a BMW and a Jaguar that all 4 tires would go flat in less than a week. I put tubes in them. I will agree that the wheel damage Im talking about is the finish. Its not always cars that are not frequently washed. Many high end owners ARE lazy and go thru automatic washes a few times a week and dont take the time to hand wash. I cant picture my lawyer with a bucket and hose at his condo The very design of a lot of alloys has lots of nooks and crannies that must be hand cleaned with fingers and brushes and auto washes only clean the face. All factory alloys that have hammer on weights and are driven on salted roads eventually get a failure of the finish. A scratch on the protective coating by those weights allows air and corrosion to start there and spread under the protective coat. Ive refinished dozens of wheels like that. I usually end up stripping them with chemical stripper and polishing them back...then either leaving them bare (I do this on my own cars) or reclearing them with special wheel clearcoating. I bought a 60s Ford GT-40 several years ago that had spent 25 years setting in a field behind a dealership. It had bare aluminum slotted ET wheels that were pitted and looked destroyed. I hand wet sanded them, polished them with rubbing compound, then polish and they turned out looking practically brand new. They were never cleared and I did not clear them. Just washing kept them looking good. I do drive all my cars year round in all weather. Im in central Ohio. My current wheels of choice are all silver painted wheels for that reason. My Chrysler has 'Corvette ZR1 style' silver painted ones and my current 450SL has silver painted AMG replicas. In everyday driving Ive found they are a lot more maintanence free. I show all my cars during season.

They must have changed a lot of sensors recently, all the traction/stability/braking controls ive run into detect wheel spin or potential lockup. Sway controls Ive seen are chassis mounted, not on the wheels. I cant say for sure on them since I really own a body repair shop and really dont have a reason to stay that much up on them. If there are that many devices actually in the wheels, why not simply remount them in new ones. I have mounted tire pressure sensors in new aftermarket wheels, but ive never seen any other pieces of hardware in any wheel. Possibly you could supply some photos of rims with additional devices in or on them.
post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 09:27 PM
BenzWorld Member

ditto that 1976450sl. I am not really a fan of "chrome", high polish wheels. I like the machine finish with clearcoat, but I like silver finished wheels the most. The 19"s on my 560 are bright silver finish OEM AMG wheels off a 2007 CLS55 AMG. I also have Pirelli PZero Rosso MO tires. For those reading this thread, any tire that is produced specifically for a Mercedes-Benz vehicle will have an "MO" on the sidewall of the tire. Well, i agree with you about the lawyers with a bucket, but i am sure they can afford to pay for a full detail. LOL I hate taking my car to carwashes. I prefer handwashing my car.

I mostly work on MB vehicles. That is my specialty. There are the newer benzes that have Distronic which is a distance control cruise control using long and short range radars and it also relies on ESP for wheel speed, steering angle, and steering column module for activating cruise control. The new new ones have a multifunction camera on the windshield that can detect if you are veering out of the lane and with "Active Lane-Keeping Assyst", it will brake a rear wheel and litteraly return the vehicle back into the lane. Thing are getting more complicated my friend. They don't build them like they used to.
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 11:15 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2012
Vehicle: 1976 450SL
None of those new features use anything from the wheels other than the rotation of the tire based on a known (recommended) size. Steering angle sensors and such are on the spindles or steering gear/rack. The rest are on other suspension or chassis components. Ive still never seen any sensor on any wheel other than pressure monitor.

My personal lawyer makes 6 figure income. His idea of keeping his car spotless is a drive thru an automated car wash and towel drying several times a week. He gets his car detailed where they actually clean between the spokes of wheels, maybe once a year in the spring. By then the winter has already done its damage. Last year I beadblasted his corroded polished wheels and painted them Argent Silver because they were so badly discolored. His fronts looked like graphite gray and the rears were polished. My own cars I clean and dry the entire wheel every wash. In the spring, I pull them off to clean and wax the inside of the rim also since its visible from the outside at car shows.
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 05:01 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2013
Yeah definitely keep the staggered wheel setup! It adds such a great look to it!
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 09:45 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 2007 c280 4matic.
Bump for 18" kmc rockstars on a w203.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in