LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jun 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Nitrogen in the Tires? Worth it?

I was wondering if it is worth it to put Nitrogen in the tires of my New E350. I had that on my old Acura and it didnt seem to help tire wear or anything. Sanme goes for my Audi of a few years ago. I appreciate any comments pro or con. I live in South Fla if that matters. I used to hear it helps tires wear better, or the air lasts more in the tires. I dont know about this at all.

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 07:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
You read wrong information. The Nitrogen itself does absolutely nothing to the tires.
It is low moisture it keeps inside that help to maintain constant pressure and constant pressure is what makes the tires to wear evenly.
That said the same results can be achieved by dry air. You in Florida might benefit in it as your you live in high humid.
I in California never worry about it. Just fill up my tires on warm day in the spring time and usually they don't need any inflation for a year.
My motorhome having semi's tires can last 3 years without loosing the pressure below recommendations.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 07:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2000 Mercedes-Benz S500. Sold: 2000 C230K, Sold: 1997 Porsche 944S
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Mercedes Benz of Florida
Purified Nitrogen is used in 100% of All JetLiners in the World.
Nitrogen molecule is much larger than Air Molecule so it does not escape through the
Rubber tires AS readily. It is also Inert so it will not change size nor shape due to fluctuating ambient temperatures. Nitrogen is purified. Regular Gasoline Station Air smells dirty, has particulate matter and has a High moisture content. It's no wonder the Air inside the Car Tire smells like a Teenagers dirty Sneaker!

Charles
New York City, NY
Richmond County

United States of America
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 08:11 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 2013 C 300 4 Matic, 2005 CLK320 convertible
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
IMO. No. If you have a very bad compressed air supply or unless you live in a very humid environment, you will see no benefit. Pure nitrogen only offers dryness. Water vapor in compressed air will cause some change in pressure as the tire temp changes. Air is, of course, mainly nitrogen anyway with only about 20 % oxygen - if I recall correctly.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 05:47 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2012
Vehicle: 1992 Mercedes 300 SE, 1976 Datsun 260 GSR30, 2007 Honda Accord Euro, 1995 Jeep Cheroke XJ
Pure nitrogen is really only useful in a car if your racing. Other than that its just wank feature.

Aircraft is a whole different ball game, specially when you consider the pressures they have to endure with the pressure of landing, the heat from trying to stop etc. Plus the big the big torpedo nitrogen bottles you tow around behind your tow motor looks kind of cool.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 04:31 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 87 560SL, 71 280SL euro, 74 VW Ghia, 78 280Z Black Pearl, 78 280Z, 04 Corolla, 07 Odyssey, 94 Prizm
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
PRO: Inert and is not subject to change. Stable.

CONS: if you have a nail in tire, it will still leak. LOL if using pure nitrogen, the chances are that you can't get it just anywhere.

I don't have any problems using regular air in my tires and I live in a very humid place. Besides, the tire pressure monitoring system was designed to use ambient air instead of 100% nitrogen
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 04:34 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 87 560SL, 71 280SL euro, 74 VW Ghia, 78 280Z Black Pearl, 78 280Z, 04 Corolla, 07 Odyssey, 94 Prizm
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
tire wear is influenced by usign wrong tire pressures other than the specified in the fuel lid door, suspension issues, wrong type of tires installed (chinese or cheap tires), lack of rotation, and if all those are ok and you still have abnormal tire wear, hard driving styles.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 05:11 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2013
Not worth it IMO.. Just costs more and more difficult to find a Nitrogen tire fill when/if you need it in a pinch
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 05:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2008
Vehicle: 1987 190D Turbo
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercedes Benz of Florida View Post
Purified Nitrogen is used in 100% of All JetLiners in the World.
Nitrogen molecule is much larger than Air Molecule so it does not escape through the
Rubber tires AS readily. It is also Inert so it will not change size nor shape due to fluctuating ambient temperatures. Nitrogen is purified. Regular Gasoline Station Air smells dirty, has particulate matter and has a High moisture content. It's no wonder the Air inside the Car Tire smells like a Teenagers dirty Sneaker!
This one post contains most of the mythology and marketing hype surrounding nitrogen. Let's clear a few things up:

Airplane tires are filled with nitrogen because if you want to get 200psi pressures, it's easier to do by filling from the liquified nitrogen tank which is standard equipment in most airport repair hangars (used for welding and such).

A nitrogen molecule is SMALLER than an oxygen molecule. Don't trust me, check the periodic table. Periodic Table of Elements and Chemistry

A gas will change size and shape, not to mention pressure, regardless of whether it's chemically inert. In this regard, air and nitrogen are identical for all practical purposes.

The only thing correct here is that air contains more moisture than nitrogen. But this assumes that the equipment is in good shape. .

Look at it this way, air contains 78% nitrogen. So you're getting a mostly nitrogen fill for free. If all this cr_p was true, then the O2 would work it's way out of the tire, and you'd quickly be left with pure nitrogen.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 06:08 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
From a racing standpoint, nitrogen (or even simple CO2 if Ferrari is to be believed) is used because it helps tire pressures behave more predictably as heat builds into the carcass. A racing tire essentially acts as a spring in addition to providing grip, so racing engineers want to control it as precisely as possible to improve handling of a car.

The most significant reason for this, as mentioned, is because nitrogen (or CO2) are commercially processed and free of moisture/water vapor, versus a compressor that has no choice but to ingest whatever happens to be in the air directly around it...water vapor and all.

If you could get completely dry atmospheric air (78% nitrogen), you'd have very similar results to using nitrogen or CO2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in