just a little bit obsessed - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 1972 350SL (RHD), 1974 350SLC 4 speed, 1976 450SL, 1978 450SLC, 1979 450SL, 1971 350SL, 1997 S500 ,
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Post just a little bit obsessed

So I've been mostly lurking on and of for two years as I've been accumulating MB's...or should I say they keep finding me...
I was a diehard hotrodder custom car builder having everything from a 1969 Olds Vista Cruiser with a 6.2L diesel truck engine in it to a 84 Toyota Celica with a 302 Ford V8...but then 6 years ago a friend of my mom's left me his 1980 280SL to drive, fixup and sell for him while he went away for the summer. Well I started to really enjoy the car and was broken hearted when someone bought it!...So I scoured ebay looking for another one but with a V8 to replace my lost borrowed toy...I was amazed at the low prices they were going for in the States (I'm from Canada)...
So I settled on a 1979 450SL from North Carolina that had fried paint and a very tired roof but was mechanically sound. In fact it was owned by the owner of a Mercedes vintage parts supplier and his wife drove it around NC....
Three weeks later I was surfing ebay for parts and low and behold a Right Hand Drive 1973 350SL with some AMG garb on it originally from Hong Kong going for cheap in Albany New York!..had to have it!
Then a 1976 450SL in Jersey with a blown motor but headers and a S/S "trash can" exhaust and nice 16" wheels for $600.00...so that was Mercedes #3..
Then I find a running 1978 450SLC with eurolights with the wipers and euro bumpers for $1200 in lower NY...so that was Mercedes #4....and just last week I came across a 1974 350SLC with a 4 speed manual, a black interior and BBS mags that was originaly from France, right here in Quebec only 100 miles from my home and already liscenced! ...I offered the owner a crazy $1200 bucks for the car during a snow storm and he accepted!!...(nothing like a good snowstorm to lower the price of vintage cars.) so that is Mercedes #5...I brought it home with the idea of transfering the manual and the engine into one of my SL's, but the car is so nice to drive and too nice to part out...and everything that is rusty on this one is not rusty on my other SLC, so now I will sacrifice the first SLC over the winter to fix this one nice...So that's why I've gone from an occasional lurker to a contributing memeber of the group....Now let's have some fun!
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 10:34 PM
Outstanding Contributor
Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Welcome to Benzworld

"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend, if you have one."
- George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: