w208 Headlight Wiring Harness - Need Advice - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 2000 CLK320 13 years 85000 miles and still loving it. Aside from the glitch or two\
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
w208 Headlight Wiring Harness - Need Advice

Hi all great forum I hope to contribute as well as seek help. Problem with my passenger city light. It will only light on high beam and I checked with a voltmeter to insure that no voltage is going to it on low. I also noticed the wires from the harness to the bulb are missing insulation so I ordered a new wiring harness I found on e-bay. My question is whether or not this harness can be replaced without removing the headlight and even if so if anyone has any guidance on the process. My lenses are in pretty bad shape and if I have to go through the process of removing the bumper to get the headlight out to replace the harness, it might be time to fork over money I don't have for the projectors. My thought is to possibly replace the heads and have the lenses refinished selling them on e-bay to defray the cost of the projectors. If I can replace the harness without pulling the bumper and taking the head apart, I would sure appreciate any advice on how to go about it. Thanks in advance.

Update. On further investigation I tested the power from the incoming harness to the headlight assy and all was good. I "jiggled" the parking light in the city light and it came on. I also (for a time) had the high beams working and was proud of myself especially after having used CV headlight product to restore the lamps. When I tried to push the uninsulated wires back into the housing the high beam went out and I am unable to get it back on. I've rechecked power at the socket and the harness so I am certain the inside wiring of the lamp must be replaced. I am uncomfortable pulling the bumper but oddly do not mind pulling the headlight and rewiring it if I can find some instruction. Anyone with experience to share would be my new hero. I need new foglights so I am considering having a body shop pull the bumper and wiring the new fogs while I bring the car home and tackle the wiring. I found a new harness at Amazon and am waiting for it to arrive. I guess I really need to know if I will be able to get inside the headlight before I pull the bumper as I'll be in a pickle if not.

Last edited by mikesmccurdy; 12-01-2012 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Updated information
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: