Remote key problem in '99 E320 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Apr 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Remote key problem in '99 E320 - FIXED!!!!!

Hi I have a 1999 Mercedes E320. All of a sudden, one of the remotes does not work. This is the remote/key that I use every day. The other remote works fine. I need two working remotes / keys, of course

The broken remote's batteries are fine. The red light blinks when I push the lock, unlock or open trunk buttons but the locks or truck do not react. The ignition will not turn with this broken remote/key.

I opened the remote and it does not appear that anything is unsodered but things are so tiny I may have missed something.

Does it need to be re-programmed? How would I do that? Odd that the red lights on it still work but no action...again, the other remote works fine.

Any suggests? Thanks

Last edited by bossman280; 11-24-2012 at 01:15 PM. Reason: problem fixed
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 05:22 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 1999 E300TD
You most likely will just need to order another key
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 05:10 AM
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Oct 2012

I'm having the same problem. I just paid $1100 to get my key and ignition switch replaced and it happened again the day after I got it replaced and does it everyday at the coldest time of day, in the morning. Now yesterday afternoon it turned real cold and it wouldn't unlock or turn in the ignition. I'm pissed because i just had it fixed five days ago and still having the same problem. Mine is '02 S500. I also had a brand new battery put in. Everything is OEM.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Apr 2005
(Thread Starter)
Fixed - it turned out to be simple

Spoke to 3 different people at the dealer. All gave different solutions including buying a new remote and key. Red light in remote still working when buttons were pushed but remote / fob still did not lock/ unlock or start car.

Went to a locksmith and he said the remote was still transmitting but very weakly.

I put in fresh set of 2 batteries and (key point) put the remote / fob in the ignition. Car computer auto-syncronized the remote and it worked like new.

Saved $600 for a new remote, key and programming from the dealer. Batteries cost me $8 at a hardware store. Locksmith wanted $26 for the two CR2025 batteries.

Key point to remember on the '99 and newer w210s is go with new batteries even if the old ones seem to be working. Then put the remote in the ignition for a few seconds so that the remote is again sync'd to the car. No other fancy steps required on this model as long as you are using the same remote that came with the car.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: