BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2012
Vehicle: 01 Miata, diy turbo kit, self tuned, 200whp, needs a vvt controller :P
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hello from PA

Aloha,

As my name suggests I drive a turbocharged miata. Why am I here then? Well I've always loved mercedes. I joined to get information on models I'm looking into.

Right now I'm looking at a 1990 W201 190E. It's pretty rough, recent run in with a deer. Though when I looked at it, the only apparent damage was the radiator, grille, and rear fan shroud. He has it listed for $1500...I was thinking about offering 700-800. I have the tools and ability to fix any issues but I was hoping to get some second opinions here.

So if you were looking for a cheap benz to commute in what would you do? Other then the obvious issues the car seemed solid, no apparent rust, etc.

Hopefully I'll be in a Benz soon.
-Patrick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 08:20 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1987 420 SEL
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Welcome,

As my profile suggests, I am new here with my recently purchased 190E 2.3. I found tons of great info in the 201 section, that I used to make an informed decision when buying my car.

Head to the 201 section and look for the Frequently Asked Question sticky at the top and go through the links to get a good idea of common problems and fixes.

As for the car you are looking at, you will need to find out more info if you want some opinions.
What 190 is it? 2.3, 2.6, cosworth?
How many miles? Does it have any service records? Any history?

Without this info, its hard to make a judgement, but the price seems high for a 190E with front end damage.
I say this because most 20+ year old cars need stuff!! Rubber might be degrading, timing chain could have issues, suspension parts getting old, oil leaks are common.

I would ask the seller as many questions as he can stand. If he gives you the "Its only a $1500 car" attitude, I would walk away. Nothing wrong with finding out everything you can before giving someone your hard earned money.

I would plan more money than the asking price and the radiator/grill/fan.
(Just as an example, I paid $1400 and another $1600 in parts/labor to bring it up to date). You can find what I had to get done and the cost here(scroll to bottom):
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w201...st-93-a-3.html

Last edited by NST NATE; 11-21-2012 at 08:23 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 08:21 AM
BenzWorld Member

Oh, and fill out your profile if you want people to help!
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
It's a 1990 190E with the 2.6L around about 130K miles. The car is no doubt rough, I just like rough cars for some reason. Ultimate goal is to put the 3.2L m104 (I think), into it and turbo that. For now I just need it to run. I was planning on doing the rad, fan (if it actually needs it), timing chain and water pump. Here's the craigslist ad Mercedes 190 E

edit: Also as far as I know there's not service history, which is why I'd go way low on the price. Though it did just have an oil change, spark plugs, and a new alternator.

edit edit: I do have a good bit of mechanical experience. I've got bodyshop experience, I built my turbo setup for my miata, etc.

Last edited by boosted_mx5; 11-21-2012 at 08:33 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 08:41 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Welcome to Benzworld

ERIC.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 08:41 AM
BenzWorld Member

Damn, did they really need to post the dead dear?

I would give the seller a call and ask about maintenance history (besides what they listed) and service records. If the seller has records, take a look and see if the problems listed in the 201 section have been taken care of. Get under the hood and under the car and do a visual inspection of problem areas.

If they have little to no records, you are taking a big gamble on how the car has been maintained and treated up to this point.

The smart way to go is to get a pre vehicle inspection. In my area they cost from $80
to $150. This could save you from buying a car that will ned $5K in repairs.
$150 might seem high on a car that they are asking $1500 for, but is well worth it. Plus if you do decide to buy the car after the inspection, you have a guide for replacements you would need to make in the coming years.

Again, if they give you attitude about getting the car checked out, you don't want the car!

And again, (This is important as it will help you get help) fill out your profile and people will be more likely to chime in. And they know a lot more than I do!

And this has some great advice on buying used Mercedes:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/sale...-mercedes.html

Last edited by NST NATE; 11-21-2012 at 08:44 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I filled out my profile, I think. Like I said I have a lot of mechanical experience. I looked over the engine bay and underside of the car. The impact didn't damage the rad support it literally just pushed the radiator out from under the rad support and jamming the fan on the back into the front of the engine. Also yes I lol'd at the deer picture.

The reality of this car is I'm tired of putting transmissions in my girlfriends sunfire. That car is the ban of my existence. Also I recently rolled under it to change the fuel filter and found rust on rust on rust. I would most likely fix the benz and drive it until her car leaves her stranded again. Then finally I'd get to send that car to be scrapped.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 09:10 AM
BenzWorld Member

Sounds like you know what you are doing. (Me, I would still need an inspection to make me feel confident about my purchase)

I was talking about inspecting the rest of the car, not the damage from the dear. If everything looks great and you have eliminated the possibility of the common issues, I would still plan on some amount of money for parts in order to bring it up-to-date. I would be shocked if there were not rubber parts cracking or leaking.

And my opinion would be that the price is high with the damage factored in.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I appreciate the concern. I am good friends with a mechanic who I can go to if I get absolutely stuck. Yeah I arrived at $700-800 to offer because it needs a grille, rad, tires, probably some other things will come up. The rear drivers side window is a little iffy, it's been repainted, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in