BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Nov 2012
Vehicle: 2012 R350 Blue Tec
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
What happened to front fog lights?

I am a new member, and would like some help with a minor but vexing issue:

I recently acquired my first MB, a 2012 R350 Blue Tec AWD, apparently a model which is no longer offered, but ideal for my requirements. The one disappointment was that the vehicle is not equipped with front fog lights.

We live in a rural area with unlit roads, and an abundance of deer, snow, fog etc. which makes front fog lights helpful, and we have always had them on previous vehicles. The R350, as well as all of the other cars in the dealer's inventory, has halogen lights and an LED strip where the front fog lights were placed in previous models. I thought I was told that the LED strip acted as a fog light, but after some investigation by the personnel at the dealership, found that it does not. The fog light position on the light switch only activates a rear fog light. Apparently the LED strip is only a running light or for decoration, and is actually dimmed at night.

I was also told that the front fog lights are available but only as a factory installed option, and no after market option was available.

The questions I have are the following:

- Is my understanding of the situation correct?

- Is there any way to modify the light settings to allow the LED lights to operate at full power at night to act as fog lights?

- Is there a viable after market fog light available?

- Why is MB removing the front fog lights as a standard feature? I just returned from a trip to Germany, and all of the newer MB cars seemed to be equipped with the LED strip. Having lived in Europe for several years, foggy conditions were a big deal, and all the cars had both front and rear fog lights. I can't understand why they are no longer standard, particularly on a premium vehicle.

I would appreciate your feedback.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 02:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: May 2008
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Welcome! If you are running the LED's such as on your R Class those LED' lights are considered to be your fog lights. I personally love the LED lights. I think they look very sharp but however a traditional halo bulb is much more real. Mercedes is not the only or the first company to do this. Maserati had LED lights first except in the rear and I love that car Audi R8 was the first car to have them as a headlamp. Depending on what package you choose in the build you can do with or without them.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Nov 2012
Vehicle: 2012 R350 Blue Tec
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for your reply. I thought that the LEDs could be used as fog lights, but apparently there is a sensor that dims them to a fraction of the power at night, and they cast essentially no light on the road. In the daytime they are quite bright, and when turned on at night they initially come on bright and then immediately dim. The MB service folks say that is how they are supposed to work to avoid "blinding oncoming dirivers". If you are aware of a way to set them to stay on bright I'd be interested in knowing about it
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 06:55 PM
Outstanding Contributor
Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Welcome to Benzworld

"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend, if you have one."
- George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: