post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: May 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Servicing K&N Air Filters

Greetings All-

I submitted a longer version of this note in the wrong forum, your feedback would be appreciated.
Most of you know the C-63 has two enormous air filters. I own two sets of K&N's. I recently had a "B" service. Having two sets of filters allows me to clean and oil a pair just prior to a service. I hand them to the service advisor in the original boxes. Two things happened yesterday.
While checking out there was a charge of $55 for "Installing new K&N's. I questioned the charge and was told they had to clean, oil and replace the filters; when I handed the service advisor the filters they were still damp with oil, a blatant lie. I also noticed the filters they removed were gone. Discarded to be exact. Here is my issue I would appreciate some feedback.
Is it a common practice to discard these high dollar filters? To add insult to injury the "Test Drive" was seven and a half miles. Fortunately the car didn't smell like hamburgers. After an insane heated argument they agreed to reimburse me for two new filters. I will pay for them myself and move on to a different service center. An early thank's up front and Happy Holidays.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Had that happen on the ML years ago.
I told them not to touch the K&N because I had serviced it. The pitched it and charged me
for a new MB paper filter.

I pointed out the note on the air filter from the work order and they very politely gave me $50 to buy a new K&N.

If they were that abrasive about refunding what they did wrong then maybe a new dealer is in order.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 05:41 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: 1989 W201.029/M103 3.0
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Personally I'm always a little paranoid about superfluous charges with generalised servicing. I like to independently decide which work is required and specify work orders, but I'm always dealing in older used cars. I've never owned a new one. Used cars can theoretically rape your chequebook on a generalised servicing work order, with plenty of kms on it just where exactly do you stop replacing/refreshing parts?

I also never give ambiguous requests, such as, "There's a strange noise when I drive, can you fix it?" You might be expecting a few hundred charged and wind up with a 14-grand new engine/transmission fee tossing words like those around. Myself, I've got an older Mercedes with a market value in sparkling condition of 4-grand maybe, a new transmission for which has a 7-grand price tag...

So I book a "service" I don't say anything like "service my Mercedes" to them. No way. I say more like, "Can I have a quote for a transmission oil/filter change thanks. Just that, no extra work, cheers bud."
And that way, even if I ask them to do an oil/filter change, I'll specify just that, and they won't touch my air filter...or the $125 plugs I put in and no way want swapped back out for the $40 specified ones and tossed in a bin. My superduper plugs got me 2-3 extra hp and gorgeous cold starts, don't fricken touch them...

driving a fast car should feel like falling off a building.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 01:20 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 1999 E300TD
Just a little info on k&n's. The original filters are designed to work perfect with the engines. Ive had many cars come in that were throwing rich fault codes due to these filters being installed on 272/273 engines
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: May 2012
(Thread Starter)
Can you please clarify what engines you're mentioning.
Lastly is it common practice to discard these filters during a service?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 02:34 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 1999 E300TD
Michael, Im talking about the v6/v8 engines that came out in 2006 through present. Also some of the 156 AMG engines can throw these codes. Im only going by the experiences that ive had . I guess it depends on the tech if they just throw them out or not. If your service advisor sells you air filters then I guess theres really no reason to keep the old ones but I personally would ask if the customer wants them. I understand that to reuse and clean k&n's are good for saving money but they can cause issues
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: