LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Oct 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
College student with older 96 c280, new to forums

Hello everyone, this is going to be a long introduction but I figure a good backdrop helps everyone get a good idea of the new guy right?

Long story short, I had hit hard times from losing my job while going to school early last year. I was making payments on a 4cyl 03 Altima SL and just didn't have enough cushion to recover from the shock of losing a stable income, so I had to let my main mode of transportation go back to the bank. From March of 2011 until last year I was without a car, and it really was starting to become a problem.

Fortunately, I was able to scrape up enough money from some cost-of-living loans I got for school back in June of this year and after almost a month of just anally looking through greater Los Angeles craigslist ads, I found my 1996 Black on Graphite interior c280 2.8L for $2,500.00 cash. When I was looking for a car I decided this time if I was going to fully own it, I wanted it to be the most amount of car for the budget I had. I didn't really have a specific wishlist, but a late 80's or early early 90's bmw or benz was on the wishlist.

What I was coming up with were just really worn out and tired civics and similar, but then this black benz popped up in Van Nuys with less than 132k and I knew I had to go and look at it before someone else did. Called the guy 20 mins after the ad popped up, went to the bank, got the cash in case I bought, called a friend to drive me down and down I went! When I got down there, it was a little rough, but the body was straight except for what looked like someone lightly tapped it on the right side, and the chrome accent trim on the car was down to a well-worn goldish bronze. It needed some money invested into it to get it to the point where I felt it was reliable (somewhere in the range of 2k with tires and repairs) and I can say while it hasn't been the cheapest investment, I can say owning Mercedes Benz and even an older and more seasonly-worn one at that is an emotional and positively illogical experience in itself that I do not regret at all.

I have done a couple very minor mods that were supported off a college student's budget, just a new Pioneer i2500ui Pandora/Spotify supported stereo (the car came with aftermarket speakers, not sure what though), PIAA Ultra Plasma 9003 low beams (can't do HIDS due to constricted budget) and I'm stilllllll feeling this one out but I replaced JUST the muffler section with a Wicked Flow dual stainless tip sport muffler. It's a little loud but backs off at highway speeds like around 60. I still have the stock muffler should I decide to have the muffler shop take it back to stock, I'll post a vid of the exhaust sound when I can tomorrow or the next.

Unfortunately when I joined the forums it was super dark out. The only camera I own right now is just the one on my iPhone, but I promise to post pics to judge for everyone to see tomorrow.

I was recently engaged to be married, but my fiancee cheated on me and now that's off. I'm kinda done dating for at least a year I promised myself and that now removes my obligation to all my money going to a very high-upkeep woman and now I can go and actually try out some hobbies I've wanted to pursue. I'm pretty serious about not giving up about finding some stable part-time work so I can fund some more serious mods and such into my Merdedes.

Will post pics tomorrow, like I said.

Peace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 06:17 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Welcome to Benzworld

ERIC.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in