LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 106 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 02:41 PM
R129 HTT Founder Member
Date registered: Sep 2012
Vehicle: 040 1996 SL500, 775U 2008 R350 4Matic
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I've owned both. The demographic for Benz owners has to be at least 3-5 years older than BMW buyers.

BMW targets the younger (in age or heart) demographic due to their sport luxury offerings. Benz is after the person that already has owned his share of sports or sporty cars and is looking for a luxurious ride to work with little to no headaches and in a comfortable manner.

This is my take.

1996 SL500 Photo Collection Updated 01-14-16

Mercedes aren't for people who want to have one, it's for people who can have one.
Sponsored Links
post #72 of 106 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 12:58 AM
Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I have been watching this thread and have been biting my tongue to try and stay out of the fray, but I am caving in.
I had a 1997 M3. Waited months for the 4 door to be built. It was over 3 months. The car was at the same dealer I got my MBs from at least once a month for several days under warranty getting fixed. Shifter, clutch, then entire transmission, gauges, and then headlight issues. It started eating fuses like a kid eating popcorn at a movie.
They finally got it sorted out. The car was a hoot to drive. It roasted the C43 AMG I would run with at open track days.
It was my 2nd BMW.
My boss sold me his 87 L6 and it was a nice car, but it was only three months before it ate through my budget and I sold it with 55k miles.
Enter my foray into the W124s. I got an 88 used and it never caused me one problem. Sold it for a 1990 and it is still running. I gave it to my father a few years ago at 274k miles after a snow plow totalled his Audi A6. He drives the 1990 300E daily.

I agree from first hand experience the the BMW parts are more expensive. I also agree about the interiors being more industrial and less luxurious. However in mot cases I found the BMWs to be more sporty.

Recently I drove a 540 BMW wagon and although it seemed to to handle better than my E500 wagon it was very pedestrian in every other category including fuel mileage.
The E500 is like being in fine dining restaurant while 540 BMW seemed like being in a franchise place to eat.
post #73 of 106 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 08:32 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: May 2008
Vehicle: 2012 ML350 4Matic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does anyone find the newer BMW turn signal operation a PITA and a real turn off for the brand?
post #74 of 106 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 10:05 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: CLK500, BMW X3
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
one thing I noticed, owning both right now. Service departments! Mercedes is 10x more knowledgable and friendly compared to the local BMW dealership (I was calling around to get the transmissions serviced on both vehicles)
post #75 of 106 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 11:01 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2003 A160
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Originally Posted by DrX View Post
When the cops raid a drug dealer and confiscate his ill-gotten gains, what make of car do they have?
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
In Europe and Asia very likely BMW.
In USA Hummer or Navigator.
I'd like to see what BMW have to compete with this bulletproof W212.
post #76 of 106 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 02:47 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Dec 2011
Vehicle: 2002 CLK 320
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I see a lot of women in bmw's so fuck bmw ! And more often then not the bitch driving it is a horrible driver ... seem like a bitch car even though they are sportier then benz .

Sent from my LG-P990hN using AutoGuide.Com Free App
post #77 of 106 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 12:24 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Feb 2009
Vehicle: future G55/63
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well at least we have proof that one CLK is being driven by an immature moron.

2008 BMW E61 mt6
2008 Audi S4 Avant mt6
2007 Land Rover Discovery 3 62,000 miles
2004 Land Rover Discovery II 73,000 miles
1996 Land Rover Discovery I 230,000 miles
post #78 of 106 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 01:12 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: 1989 W201.029/M103 3.0
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I worked in a lot of dealerships and panel shops, plus mates have owned both so I've driven many of each, fewer late models since I changed work industries. But up until a few years ago, and especially among 80s-90s-00s models I found surprisingly I much preferred the way MB drives over BMW, although post-2000 Beemers improved a fair bit.

I preferred the way beemers looked, and they looked like they should handle better, but I can throw a bigger Merc that looks heavier around quicker, with more control and confidence than a Beemer, I don't know if it's chassis balancing or suspension tuning or what, but I find a W124 handles better on the throttle than a similar vintage 3-series Beemer in my hands, the W201 I've got you can toss around or park like a hatch.
I also just feel like when I floor a Beemer around and treat it rough a whole bunch of things from the cabin to under the hood are going to break, when I do the same thing in a Merc it feels bulletproof. I'm not even confident I won't break the BMW shifter, the Merc one I use manually with no fear of breaking, I don't like such distractions since I'm concentrating on engine speeds and driving conditions. But if something weirds me out I'm going to think about it despite myself and Beemers weird me out to drive.
I just find the Merc more of an engineers car, the Beemer more of something for the kids.

driving a fast car should feel like falling off a building.

Last edited by vanir; 11-04-2012 at 01:17 AM.
post #79 of 106 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 11:20 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Musikmann View Post
Don't bother, I'm tired of arguing with you. Instead why don't you translate your foreign signature?
Why should I? You seem in no hurry to translate yours.

Felicita e un bicchiere di vino con un panino.
post #80 of 106 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 11:40 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Originally Posted by flyboyike View Post
Why should I? You seem in no hurry to translate yours.
Do you just like to argue or do you adopt your Dr. Hyde persona when you are drinking alcohol? I'd beware of the next FAA physical you take.

Concerning my signature, mine is the advertising slogan they use here in English and also in Germany in their language. So it is certainly appropriate for a Mercedes forum. With your "know it all" attitude I'm surprised you didn't realize that.

Mercedes Benz - The best or nothing.

Now what is that crap that looks like Italian you sign off with?

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: