LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 106 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 11:21 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2010
Vehicle: 2005 SL65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
MB vs BMW

I've just traded my SL 65 for a new generation BMW 650i convertible (no M6 when I bought a year ago). One thing I can tell you after having owned a few MB's, the new one's are made of much cheaper parts/materials than the older generations. BMW feels higher end and drives much nicer. I have 3 BMW's in the family, from SUV, 3 and 6 series. I have a C300 as a spare in Florida. Does not come close to a 3 series for drive character. MB are trading on their past laurels. Their new exteriors are really nice, across the range, pity they do not drive like BMW's. So BMW for those who want to enjoy driving, less concerned about impressing the neighbours. BMW - the ultimate driving machine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 106 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 11:23 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jun 2010
Smile MB vs. BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip2 View Post
can anyone comment on what they see as the basic personality/characteristics/ buyer profile of the Mercedes line as opposed to those of BMW.
Beginning in 1980 I have owned 10 of both brands. The models include
MB 450SEL
MB E320 (2)
BMW 850
MB E350
MB ML (2)
BMW 750il
BMW X5
MB SL500

Differences

1. All MB's start even when I've been away for months. BMW will not always start if left alone for a week or more. The BMW maintenace managers tell me that I need to drive the BMW more often.

2. All MB's can hit a pothole and go on normally. BMW requires a garage repair of $1,000 or more each and every time I've hit one. BMW repair people tell me the suspension is lighter and that's why the BMW has more "road-feel."

3. Common question from BMW owner is, "Have you seen the beautiful BMW shop?"
My answer is, "Yes, I have." And I go on to say, "I've never seen the MB repair shop." Some people get it: Some don't.

Last edited by dollens; 10-25-2012 at 11:26 AM.
post #43 of 106 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 12:06 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2010
Vehicle: 2011 Z4 35i, 2010 C350 4m Sedan, 2012 C350 4M Coupe,2011 328xi
Mb or Bimmer, Bimmer or Mb doesn't matter. If you like it and can afford it just go for it. Or even lease it. The worst cases you stuck with it for 2 - 3 yrs ...lol
After that Keep it or go for another new one. It's all come down to $$$$

Last edited by guppies; 10-25-2012 at 12:30 PM.
post #44 of 106 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 12:43 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollens View Post
Beginning in 1980 I have owned 10 of both brands. The models include
MB 450SEL
MB E320 (2)
BMW 850
MB E350
MB ML (2)
BMW 750il
BMW X5
MB SL500

Differences

1. All MB's start even when I've been away for months. BMW will not always start if left alone for a week or more. The BMW maintenace managers tell me that I need to drive the BMW more often.

2. All MB's can hit a pothole and go on normally. BMW requires a garage repair of $1,000 or more each and every time I've hit one. BMW repair people tell me the suspension is lighter and that's why the BMW has more "road-feel."

3. Common question from BMW owner is, "Have you seen the beautiful BMW shop?"
My answer is, "Yes, I have." And I go on to say, "I've never seen the MB repair shop." Some people get it: Some don't.
Bimmer usually come with Run Flat and low profile tire with bigger rims/wheel too. That's why the ride is not very good and the car is lower too compare to
Mb. I just see a Beautiful MB Shop here in Calgary...lol
My C350 4M coupe only 2 months old. The Nav screen is bad.

Pothole call the city. And they have to paid for your car damage if that happen. And get the "M" package
post #45 of 106 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 01:22 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2009
Vehicle: future G55/63
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Not many posts regarding the types of owners .... all just the never ending car vs car crap. At best people are inferring that one person may appreciate sporty feel over luxury feel but this does not address the buyer demographic.

2008 BMW E61 mt6
2008 Audi S4 Avant mt6
2007 Land Rover Discovery 3 62,000 miles
2004 Land Rover Discovery II 73,000 miles
1996 Land Rover Discovery I 230,000 miles
post #46 of 106 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 01:34 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guppies View Post

Pothole call the city. And they have to paid for your car damage if that happen. And get the "M" package
Where? In my area I recall at least 2 major accidents where garbage truck and semi lost control and overturned only because the freeway bumps.
Even with standard wheel on MB (55 high) I lost the rim on Los Angeles pothole.
post #47 of 106 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 01:37 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2012
A Comment from a BMW owner.

“can anyone comment on what they see as the basic personality/characteristics/ buyer profile of the Mercedes line as opposed to those of BMW?”

I signed up at Benzworld a while ago to help a buddy with a repair to his E320, a water pump replacement. I personally own a 3 series, the last great 3 series BTW, the E46.

So anyway, this illuminates a basic personality/characteristic difference that I think WAS historically more robust. I’ve found that a good number of BMW owners do some basic maintenance on their cars, with others full out wrenching on their cars. Cleaning MAF sensors, installing brakes/rotors, new suspensions, window regulators, pre cat O2 sensors, fluid changes etc…

Now, you guys here on the Benzworld site are different because you tend to work on your cars, I’m a member of Bimmerfest myself. But moving beyond wrenching, I’d suspect a larger percentage of BMW owners (especially 3 series owners) know things about their cars such as the amount of negative camber they’re running, or their toe-in measurement, or the type of oil they run, or which type of shocks and springs they have, whereas you just wouldn’t even ask a a typical MB owner - because they wouldn't even understand the question. And that gets to the point many of you have made already, BMW historically has made performance sedans, and that has historically attracted a performance-oriented ownership. The 3 series, as a platform for modification, was excellent, and the availability of high quality aftermarket non-OEM parts is vast.

That’s the way it was through the E46 produced between 1999 and 2006, since then, in an effort to boost sales BMW has basically abandoned the performance focus in lieu of high margin luxury accouterments. BMW management has not been shy about stating they they’re actively targeting sales to females. And, newer models (post E46) are increasingly getting more difficult to wrench on, thus forcing owners into overpriced dealerships for repairs. You now see a huge drop in resale value once a new BMW comes off warranty because you just can’t work on you car like you used to. Hell you can’t change your own battery anymore without visiting a dealer to introduce the battery to the car’s electrical system.

So BMW is rapidly starting to look like MB, and as a result the differentiation between BMW and MB owners is dissipating. If MB offered their cars in the N. American market with a stick, I’d absolutely look them as an option when its time to buy again. I’ll tell you this, I won’t be buying another BMW.

Thanks for your help with the water pump before guys, I’ll probably pop my head back in here the next time by buddy’s E320 has an issue.
post #48 of 106 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 01:45 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggerhappy View Post
I judge people by their car all the time I think it does tell me something about a person if they are driving something that says "I don't care". If your car is a total POS it generally says you are either a) very bad with money, b) didn't do any research or c) know absolutely nothing about cars. If someone makes a very large purchase and gets a 3-5 year loan without doing any research or putting any thought into it whatsoever it makes me question their wisdom. Not to say that everybody has to drive a Mercedes car or that anyone who drives a Camry is an idiot, but someone who drives a Sunfire might be.
This sounds very narrow minded and spoken like someone without any real life experience. Are you serious or being sarcastic?

I see 10 yr old subarus, 10 yr old audi, etc parked along the lake at houses that are on land worth $1M. I'm sure those people are fools with their cars aren't they?

2008 BMW E61 mt6
2008 Audi S4 Avant mt6
post #49 of 106 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 01:52 PM
BenzWorld Member

I meet more people who drive a MB who don't know anything whatsoever "about cars" and honestly, who cares, because these are not people who say things like "we enjoyed the drive through the mountains". They of course thought the drive was beautiful, but the trip wouldn't be about how fun the car is drive. Generally speaking.
The coolest MB drivers I've met make their own veggie fuel for older MB or are the rare "enthusiast" who absolutely know the differences between an E55 engine vs E63 or even better, the 2010 E63 engine vs the 2013 E63 engine, depending on which model it's in.

The key word about the BMW vs MB demographic comparison is that there are far fewer "enthusiasts" in MB than in BMW, Porsche, Audi, VW. Why? I suppose it's simply due to the offerings.

I'm a manual lover. So I currently have an Audi S4 4.2 v8 6mt avant 340 hp, and a BMW 535xi Touring, 6mt, 380 hp/420 lb-ft with the Dinan software yet I still get 25 mpg. They're both a lot of fun. Previously I had a BMW 328i Touring 6mt fully loaded, msrp $51k for a 3 series in 2007! Before that I had a BMW Z4 M Coupe.

None of these decisions were "price point". When buying the 535 wagon, I wanted a manual which narrowed the field and also all wheel drive, which made the choice simple.

Aside from AWD though, I like the MB E55/E63 and when you meet someone who drives one of those, you have usually also found an "enthusiast".

If MB brought even just the E350 Estate 4matic + diesel, I might be willing to make it my next wagon.

2008 BMW E61 mt6
2008 Audi S4 Avant mt6
post #50 of 106 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 01:56 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
Where? In my area I recall at least 2 major accidents where garbage truck and semi lost control and overturned only because the freeway bumps.
Even with standard wheel on MB (55 high) I lost the rim on Los Angeles pothole.

In Calgary Alberta Canada here.
I recall if your car was damage by the pothole the city will paid for the damage. Just take a picture, date and time and the est. of the damage. It takes them 3 - 6 months to process but at least you get the monry back.

Last time I heard Friend claim them happen 6 years ago. Don't know LA area.

Well when we purchase a car. I never consider how my car can handle a pothole. I am more worried other Driver taking Drug, Drink and Drive or talking on their cell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in