mercedes vs BMW - Page 11 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 106 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 08:46 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Nov 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As an owner of both a BMW 3 Series convertible and an E350 BlueTec I can say both cars attract different buyers. I pretend I'm still young in the Bimmer and acknowledge I'm old in the much more comfortable E Class. In a quick unscientific check on Ebay going back to 1992, 20 years ago there are currently twice as many MB lisited as BMWs. Looking back 30 years between 1982-1985 on Ebay listings there are three times as many MB as BMWs. This speaks to who own these cars as much as, "The Ultimate Driving Machine" or whatever.

Mercedes has been around as a prestige product as long as anyone can remember and BMW is more of a newcomer in the US. BMW has a center weighted average of a 3 Series sport sedan derived from the 1600 and 2002 from the late '60s. Mercedes bread and butter has always been the E Class with the smaller C Class coming in the mid '90s. In the '60 Mercedes was making gorgeous SL and S Class cars which are still being bought and treated like precious investments and works of art. BMW just can't have that image right now and as someone else put it in this thread the two brands are getting closer as BMW goes more luxury and Mercedes somewhat oddly goes for a more boy racer look to expand market share.

As I have seen this demographic of who drives what I see a shift from BMW as the sports youth car moving to Audi and the Infiniti brand. The jerk at the traffic light who once was the 325 or 318 driver has now become the Infiniti driver trying to demonstrate that his car is even better than the BMW and 15k cheaper too! Let's not even get into the Audi drivers. Who cares, let them eat cake.
Sponsored Links
post #102 of 106 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 01:18 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 1999 SL500 -
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
First, a Qualifier - My family has had German Cars since my earliest car-memories. First one was a 1957 VW Oval window. First MBZ was a '67 230S. First Porsche = 1966 911S. ( I bought this myself when I was 20 yrs old )

The way I see the comparo between MBZ & BMW is as follows ( Very loosely generalized; keeping in mind that, as we all know; there exists a Lot of Crossover between the Marques ).

Top of the Line Sports Car = PORSCHE

All Out Luxury = MBZ

BMW = Right Smack in the Middle - < More Luxurious than Porsche, Sportier than MBZ >

Just my opinion...

My 1966 911S and me ( 1978 ):

post #103 of 106 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 12:58 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Nov 2012
Interesting thread with a variety of opinions. I have owned several BMWs and MBS and a few Porches too. In general I prefer German cars though I have owned several Japanese cars too.
I think the MB vs BMW question is very much like picking between the hot blonde and the hot brunette and the Porsche is the hot redhead. They are all great fun until you live with them for a while then some will irritate you more than others.

I live in Southern California where we do a lot of freeway driving and commutes can be long (in my case 45 miles each way) so the opportunity to drive twisty mountain roads and really have sports car fun is more fantasy than reality. Sure the mountains are close by but just go to any of them on a weekend and you find yourself driving slowly behind a long line of cars with someone that won't drive over 35mph and won't pull over to let anyone pass and you are constantly in a no passing zone. A few hours of that and you decide it isn't the fun toss around the curves drive you envisioned and you don't want to do it again.

So how does all of this relate? Simply this. For the type of driving I do most of the time I don't really need nor am I able to use ultimate sports car handling so I no longer have Porches in my driveway though they are fun cars. I just traded in my 2006 3 series BMW for a 2013 C250 and did not buy another BMW. The reasons are that while the BMW handles a little better at the extremes for my everyday use the C250 is more than capable and adequate and it rides better and is more comfortable on that daily commute grind. The BMW starts developing rattles and other mysterious sounds that bug me and the interior doesn't hold up as well as the former MBs I have owned. The BMW requires more maintenance and maintenance costs are very high and repairs are even worse. I got to know my service advisor far better than some employees I work with and that is not a good thing.

This year I decided to test a Korean Hyundai for my wife. I traded in our Lexus HS250H hybrid for the Genesis V6 with 333HP and 8 speed automatic. I wanted to see how it compares to the BMW, Mercedes and Lexus from a durability and maintenance viewpoint. The car is large and heavy and reminds me of earlier MBs I owned. For freeway driving it has a superb ride and with the amount of power it can definitely move. It gets amazing gas milage of 25-30mpg in commuting on regular gas which is almost as good as the Lexus that was supposed to get 40mpg but never saw that and had an engine that was constantly straining to move the vehicle ever so slowly. Time will tell whether she is a lady or a floozie.
post #104 of 106 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 02:46 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Mar 2012
Vehicle: 2003 W220 S 320 CDi

I always think that the BMW range is baselined on the 3 series - Sporting saloons that are then projected up through the range.

Mercedes is baselined on the S class and then extended down through the range.

In the real world ( not Clarkson's view if the fastest thing around the Nurburgring) I think Mercedes are the best with the better :

Style ( Apart from new E class)

Where BMW have made up so much ground is through car magazines and programmes like Top Gear promoting ' sporting driving ' over everything else. I think Mercedes are at a crossroads and need to get across the message that they have the best cars but are also 'cool' to appeal to younger buyers.
post #105 of 106 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 03:33 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Mar 2012
Vehicle: 2003 W220 S 320 CDi
When you put 700bhp through a manual all you will have left is the stick!
post #106 of 106 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 09:24 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2005 ML500, 1999 C230 KOMPRESSOR, 1993 300E, 1964 220SE, 1994 E320, 2001 E320 4MATIC, 1991 380SEL
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
M-BENZ are a better built car and a lot more friendly to work on as a technician. I love my BENZ' think I'm biased? Hmmmmm...

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: