LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Advice/Information for New C or E Series

I'm a baby boomer who has always purchased V-8 RWD American cars. However, due to the drastic changes in the automotive industry, these cars are very limited in availability. Therefore, since the C and E series cars are RWD, I decided to give them consideration as well as the BMW 5 series. In looking at a 2012 C300 window sticker I noticed that the crash rating for the front passenger was only 2 stars. Does anyone know if this is really true because if it is then this rating is problematic since it suggests that the front passenger would not survive a crash? Have the ratings improved for the 2013 model year? I find it hard to believe since Mercedes has always marketed their cars as being very safe.Could you please inform me regarding the reliability and durability of both the C and E series cars for 2012 and and whatever is known for 2013? How expensive is the maintenance on these cars after the warranty expires? Thanks for your help since this would be my first exposure to German cars!

Last edited by fearlessfly; 10-07-2012 at 12:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 05:16 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: 2 x W115 220, W115 230.4, W115 240DA, W123 230, W212 E300
I grew up in Mercedes and have owned five. The ''newest'' one was sold at around 190,000km and the ''oldest'' at 670,000km. In my family, we owned more than FORTY of them, ranging from 180 Ponton to W211. Spares are much cheaper than most Korean, Japanese, American and even European cars. Body parts are very expensive.

Merc will serve you well over enormous aggregated mileage over a long period of ownerhsip. Their total cost of ownership is low, they drive well and are very safe. Not as exciting as BMW but much more reliable.

The V6 CRD engines are the best: OM642 engine range, 3 litres with Bluetec. Frugal, immensely powerful, quiet and utterly reliable. If you have diesel with sulphur content of 50ppm or better, this is you best buy.

Merc ownership lasts longer and is generally more satisfactory than most marriages today
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 11:07 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearlessfly View Post
I'm a baby boomer who has always purchased V-8 RWD American cars. However, due to the drastic changes in the automotive industry, these cars are very limited in availability.
Luckily, our Aussie friends recently came to our rescue.

Chevrolet : Other 4dr Police in Chevrolet | eBay Motors

Felicita e un bicchiere di vino con un panino.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchuncle View Post
I grew up in Mercedes and have owned five. The ''newest'' one was sold at around 190,000km and the ''oldest'' at 670,000km. In my family, we owned more than FORTY of them, ranging from 180 Ponton to W211. Spares are much cheaper than most Korean, Japanese, American and even European cars. Body parts are very expensive.

Merc will serve you well over enormous aggregated mileage over a long period of ownerhsip. Their total cost of ownership is low, they drive well and are very safe. Not as exciting as BMW but much more reliable.

The V6 CRD engines are the best: OM642 engine range, 3 litres with Bluetec. Frugal, immensely powerful, quiet and utterly reliable. If you have diesel with sulphur content of 50ppm or better, this is you best buy.

Merc ownership lasts longer and is generally more satisfactory than most marriages today
A guy on my job has a C350 and said he pays $350 for an oil change because it takes special equipment to accomplish and only the dealer has it. Do you think that is really true? They must be using synthetic oil for starters??
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 07:12 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1988 560SL 71000mi, 2015 S550 4Matic
WOW - I pay less that half that at my dealer for an oil change on my S550. Something does not seem right ?
Michael in Arizona

1988 Signal Red 560SL
2015 S550 4Matic Ruby Black/Beige
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 11:03 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Mercedes is not advising oil changes only, but whole service that involves lot of checking and replacing other consumables as well.
Good part you can DIY even on warranty and with engines design for oil sucking via dipstick tube and top mounted filters it is very easy and clean job.
C class is very small car, beside crash ratings, how do you fit in it coming from full size American car?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
Mercedes is not advising oil changes only, but whole service that involves lot of checking and replacing other consumables as well.
Good part you can DIY even on warranty and with engines design for oil sucking via dipstick tube and top mounted filters it is very easy and clean job.
C class is very small car, beside crash ratings, how do you fit in it coming from full size American car?
I'm 6'1'' and I was not uncomfortable believe it or not in a 2012. It's a lot roomier than it looks from the outside. The E-series felt better but I am not sure I want to pay E series prices.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 11:49 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
The MB engineers do a good job and I would assume they improve the cars every year.
I am only 5-9 but with long legs and was getting cramps in older E class. The W210 has way improved legroom comparing to older brother.
Still I have run into few C selling very cheap only because the owners found them too small for their families.
How much leg room rear passengers have in C when you move front seat all the way back?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 12:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
The best forums to ask about those cars is on their respective forums. The C-Class is a W204 and the E-Class is a W212. Just scroll down from here until you see the sedans section; both forums are there.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 08:06 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1988 560SL 71000mi, 2015 S550 4Matic
I always get a C class as a loaner when I take my car in for service. I am 5'10" and when I put the seat back there is NO leg room in the back. Not to bad in front but my druthers would be for an E class (or the S that I have).
Michael in Arizona

1988 Signal Red 560SL
2015 S550 4Matic Ruby Black/Beige
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in