post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1989 560SL; 2014 E350; 1960 190SL-sold; 1996 280C-sold
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hello From New York's Mid-Hudson Valley

About 30 years ago, I had my first personal experience owning a Mercedes Benz. My father and I found and purchased a pair of 190SL's from a man in CT; one was a 1960, and the other a 1963. Although they both ran, they both needed work, and we purchased them with the intent of restoring them. Well, we never did really get around to that, kept them for a few years, drove them a few times, and finally sold them. He sold his first, and I kept mine a few more years hoping to complete the project, but to no avail.

When we purchased our next MB, we chose a new C Class which my wife drove as her personal vehicle. Although it didn't have the exciting potential for fun we hoped to have with the 190, she enjoyed it for the 3-4 years that we had it.

During the past year or so, I got it into my head that it might be fun to get a collectible car again that we could enjoy. The idea, this time, was to get something from the 40's, 50's or 60's that had already been restored, and we could enjoy it the way we used to enjoy the Harley's which we now seem to be riding less and less often. Well, friends and family were kind to point out to me that I'm not very mechanical, and suggested that I get a later model car that still had an element of collectibility to it.

Truthfully, I wasn't particularly thinking of a MB. Instead, we looked at the last version of the T-Bird, the Crossfires, and a few other later model American cars from the 80's and 90's. Then one day during a search a few months ago, we came upon a 560SL that was advertised in CT (again) with only 26,000 miles. The pics in the ad and the description seemed worthy of investigation so, long story short, we drove out to look at it, went out again a second time with my mechanic who looked the car over top to bottom, did a little talking with the seller, and bought ourselves a beautifully kept, white over red 560 with hardly any miles.

Although only driven about 1,000 miles a year, we have all the annual service records from the original owner's MB dealership which include annual oil changes and anything else that was necessary. Although in excellent condition, inside and out, once we got it home, I treated the leather with Leatherique, cleaned and weather treated the soft top with RaggTopp, applied 3 coats to the paint of cleaner, glaze and wax, polished the chrome, put some 303 on the interior (dash/door panels, etc.), and have some Ultima for the exterior trim. Meanwhile, the hardtop is safely stored on the stand in the garage.

We've had the car about 3 months now, have put about 400 local but enjoyable miles on it, and we're looking forward to many years of ownership. Glad to be a member here, hope to get lots of useful information, and contribute when I can.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 04:08 AM
Outstanding Contributor
Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Welcome to Benzworld

"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend, if you have one."
- George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1989 560SL; 2014 E350; 1960 190SL-sold; 1996 280C-sold
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the welcome...and all the way from China too!
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: