post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Apr 2012
Vehicle: mercedes 190 5-gear w201.023 engine 102.924 carburetooooooooooor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Lightbulb Ignition coil question

I posted this in the 190 section since I that is what I have. This may be a cross model issue so I'll try my luck here as well...

I have an ignition related problem that I quite can't pinpoint. Therefore I will just ask you about my ignition coil. I have a 1987 190, carburetor with TSZ ignition. It should have an ignition coil with a overheating protection plug A 000 158 4003/. When removing the plastic cover I didn't find that. Instead I found this:

After some cleaning and photographing the bottom of the coil I managed to figure out that this is an A 000 158 2803, which is supposed to be fitted in many other models, but not mine. It is meant to fit in a TSZ 4 system with two resistors in series (0,4 and 0,6 ohms) before the coil, which my car of course doesn't have.
Now this worries me. Is there any way this may harm my ignition system, or car?

FYI. The problem I just can't pinpoint is erratic missfiring. Mainly when cold. It is obvious at idle when the autochoke releases: rpm goes down to a stutter. Anoying for the first 5 kilometers whenever I have to stop at a light or crossing.
I checked the spark plug wires - OK, changed spark plugs (temporarily improved matters), changed rotors and tested with a new (but cheap) distributor cap - no improvement, measured resisteance in coil and induction sensor - OK. Finally I connected a stroboscope when starting the engine cold and checked each wire. All but wire no 2 fired regularly. Still the resistance is ok in the wire (1100 ohms), spark plug new and a new distributor cap didn't improve matters.
I was thinking the misfit coil may not give enough spark. But I can't see why this would only affect one cylinder... Maybe I measured poorly
If anyone has any ideas on this as well as the coil I would be more than happy to listen.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: