post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2012
Vehicle: CLK 270 2003
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
CLK270CDI Amazing MPG

Hi, got the car a couple of weeks ago. Just did a 950 mile run round Scotland. Returned 60.1 MPG. The roads were pretty good and I drove like an old giffer, but well impressed with the result. Car is a manual, I did my homework and this engine seems to be about the best across the range. Numbers have dropped down to the mid 40s now I'm driving locally and enjoying the torque a bit more. Thanks to the forum for the advice on the tensioner replacement. Info given was spot on, job done in half an hour. Still can't find a workshop manual which is purely for the 5 pot diesel. Any info on this would be appreciated. BTW can list 7 beemers and a 300CE in my previously owned list. Liking the return to MB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 08:43 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
You won't impress me

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Naaaa!

You must have been rolling down a pretty steep hill or....do I smell a rat.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 01:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite

You are good. I-80 westbound approaching Salt Lake City has 10 miles downgrade that takes some braking to stay at 80 mph in neutral.
Still the E320cdi was making 52mpg (US) at 67mph, so your C270 with manual making 60 is low by comparison.

Last edited by Kajtek1; 08-19-2012 at 05:57 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
270 or 320 ?

The 60.1 MPG I quoted was an average over about 930 miles. I travelled up around loch Ness in Scotland before returning south. As much uphill as down overall. (Pretty obvious I suppose as I finished at the same place I started.) do you think the 320 will do this. Sorry but is the 320 the same 5 cylinder motor as mine. If the figures make the bigger motor as good as the 270 maybe I made the wrong choice. This is my first diesel so I am on a pretty steep learning curve, the CDI (compressed diesel injection) takes the place of the normal turbo I understand. This makes the difference in the efficiency stakes. I've just got rid of a BMW which had less power, drank more juice, cost more to insure, and due to poor emmissions was in a higher tax bracket. Not enjoyed driving so much since I had my 300CE. Happy to be a Merc man again!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 09:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite

cdi I know is for Commonrail Diesel Injection, but here in US we have limited access to new technology, so I might not know all the jargon.
You are not quoting the speeds you have been driving and that is big factor.
But to my knowledge E is way heavier car than C, so I would expect more.
Than European members keep on telling us about those 80-90 mpg diesels they have. Maybe they don't tell it is in imperial gallons, maybe they drive like grandmas.
Last week I had one day when I covered 1430 miles and 3100 miles in 70 hr what include heavy traffic downtown Chicago and in California Sierras. Can't do that driving 55 mph.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
CDI

Commom rail diesel injection. I'm thinking you are right. This is my first diesel, I have much to learn. Speeds I was driving would probably vary between 80 mph on motorway to 50 / 60 mph on what were pretty good A roads. Not much stop-start stuff which kills the economy figures. I drove from Chicago to Burlington Illinois in a hire car about 8 years ago. Good roads, but the Feds seemed to be everywhere so had to stick to the speed limits.
80 to 90 mpg ? I know how to drive like a tart, you ain't getting that mileage out of a Merc of our ilk.
If you're travelling those distances you need a bit of comfort, do you do that regularly? I know you guys have to travel long distances. Must be frustrating not being able to open up the engine, we can normally get away with 80 to 90mph before we see the blue flashing lights (on motorways).
Metric gallon is 4.5 litres , imperial is a tad less eh!
Anyway, driving normally now. Mpg down to mid 40s. Can't resist playing with the corsa kids who think they are bad.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 07:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite

I like yours "open up the engine"
In US the cars of last decade + are equipped with governors. Cheaper cars have them at 100mph, better 125, the best 130 mph, than I don't know about exotics.
On most MB cars I can hit governor on 3th gear still having 4th and 5th to spare.
Only in last years cops are making up for revenue lost by politicians. This is how I drove 4 years ago. Now I can only dream about it.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Governors on European cars kick in at about 155mph??? We are plagued by average speed cameras, they click away and calculate your average speed. Tickets arrive by post with the fine and points. Great way to raise money for the authorities, with minimal effort. There are some places where you dare have a blast, just a case of being sensible....if driving at 100+ mph can be sensible! Major bitch to be banned eh, bet you can't wait to get your wings back. Will your insurance go sky high? Sometimes in the UK you have to re-sit your driving test, or go on "speed awareness courses"! Did you know speed is dangerous?!!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 07:06 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernardpauldavid View Post
Did you know speed is dangerous?!!
Statistics prove otherwise. Bay Area traffic averaging likely below 20 mph has way higher accident ratio than Germans commuting at 200kph.
Sure slow speed accidents are less deadly, but those I can only guess if less deadly enough as nobody makes those statistics. Nobody reports upset drivers pulling the guns and killing other drivers as traffic accidents.....
I moved to California straight from Germany, so it was kind of shock.
Amazing on visits to my native Poland, I drive there faster than in California, while 4 -lane roads in Poland are barely existing.
California is strange place to live. Speed cameras are illegal, while the red light cameras are still under hammers. The huge population of lawyers in the state made speed traps illegal, like I see them in other states. Still new technology where cops have laser radars with optical system targeting single car from 5 lanes of traffic is hard to beat.
To top it the state dilute our fuels to the degree that our cars drop efficiency by at least 15%. Each time I go to other states I make a point of filling up before crossing back to CA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in