BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2012
Vehicle: 1984 500SEL AMG, 1989 420SEL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New member, long time German car enthusiast

Hello Benz World,

I'm a big German car nut in general. Many years ago after leaving the Army, I got my first job in the civilian world as a technician in an independant Bosch service center which predominantly worked on German autos. I've owned, VW's, Audi's, BMW's and MB's. When it comes to MB's I am a big fan of the w126 and owned a hand full of them through the past decade +. IMHO, I beleive they are among the best high production cars ever built in terms of fit, finish, and quality. I currently own an '84 500 SEL with many genuine AMG parts including headers, Gleason Torsen diff, body kit and Penta II wheels. It's also equipped with a Paxton supercharger in good working order. I also recently aquired a very clean '89 420 SEL.

I admitedly joined the group to try to find an enthusiast who might be interested in the 500SEL for the AMG parts or to bring back to par (it's really still a pretty good car, but has been sitting for a while). I have too many projects and must reduce them to a reasonable scope. If I let this 500SEL go, I can focus on the 420SEL. I choose to keep the 420SEL as it isn't too much of project, which I don't have time for at this point in my life, albeit, the 500 is a LOT MORE interesting car for sure. I'm currently doing a write-up on it.

Sorry to join for ad purposes, but I'd really like to offer this car up to an enthusiast before going the ole Ebay route. It will also be nice to search up things for the 420 if needed. I still remember a few things from my tech days too. So hopefully I can help with a problem here and there when my memory doesn't fail me

Regards,
John Bowman
Nashville, IN
'84 500 SEL, '89 420SEL (good ole w126s!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 03:56 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2012
Vehicle: 2007 Mercedes-Benz C230, 2007 Chevy Equinox, 2003 Saab 9-3 2.0t, 1996 Chevy Tahoe, 2000 Ranger R83
Welcome to Benzworld.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 03:59 PM
BenzWorld Member

The 126 is one of the best s class ever. Do share pics and welcome abroad
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 08:34 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Welcome to Benzworld

ERIC.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 09:22 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2012
Vehicle: 2009 E350 W211 Arctic White (dads car)
Welcome Benz Lover

Sent from my iPad using AG Free
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Vehicle: 1984 500SEL AMG, 1989 420SEL
(Thread Starter)
Thanks all for the warm welcome! I'm finishing a pdf file with many pics of the 500SEL. I want to pull the fill plug on the differential and confirm the Gleason Torsen and the ratio, then I'll post. Are we able to attach a pdf file? Or maybe I just post some pics and folks can PM me for the pdf file. I think someone will want to snap this car up! I think I've got a very fair price in mind. I will probably shed some tears letting it go. 10+ years ago, I would have given an arm or leg to have a car like this and now that I have one, well... it is what it is. I won't bore you with my sob story, but let's just say the economy isn't very good, but hey I'm counting my blessings too. My 420SEL will be a really nice car and will be a little easier on gas. I've also been blessed with good times. My best w126 ever was an absolute pristeen '90 560 SEC Black w/ Palomino. I owned that car in 1996 when it was still pretty new. You talk about rolling big! ... that car was awsome! One memorable experience while driving it to Colorado, a C5 Corvette kept trying to run me on open stretches of interstate 80. I walked away from him everytime! I have a hard time believing that 5.6 wasn't even 300hp. Let's just say I think Daimler was very honest about the published rated power and maybe even conservative. Perhaps they published the low end of production variance.

Cheers,
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in