BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2012
Vehicle: 1997 SL500, 1999 SLK230K
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Post New 1993 400sel owner

Hey guys! Ive been frequenting these forums for about a month now. Love the site! My names Kyle and Im new to MB. Well as it normally goes, Im running into issues and have made an account to ask some (hopefully not already answered) questions. I do my best to read and research before creating a new thread.. So here goes. Thanks ahead of time.

I recently acquired a 1993 400sel. Found it under a tree in an impound lot for 1k. After replacing the battery and driver window, Ive been ironing out the kinks..

Knowing the CAN in these cars are a SERIOUS issue so Ive checked as much out as I can get my hands and eyes on. there are (so far) zero visible issues.

When i took it home it was in limp home mode. after some reading and checking around, Ive since gotten the car to start in the morning NOT in lhm.(only after sitting all night) That said, Ive think Ive boiled it down to the ETA (it will run fine for about a half hour before kicking into lhm.) Ive had the base module and ASR computers apart and cleaned. Kickdown is unplugged at the trans, so thats eliminated. Throttle cable is adjusted properly too.

Next was wipers had no movement. Took apart the combo relay and cleaned the contacts on the relays. Only high speed started working. Then found out the main arm was snapped in half?? Had it welded back together and have wipers, no self park tho. Im gonna have to get a new combo relay and go from there.

The next on the list was the exterior lamp switch. It needs replacing.( ive taken the switch apart and have confirmed the lights to work all the way around)( a completely cleaned out switch without the plunger in it will illuminate all circuits if plugged in) Only thing left in this department is the 3rd brake light not illuminating, but thats an easy fix and the least of my worries atm.

Primary problem: next to nothing coming from the cluster. What does work are the indicators/warning lights and temp gauge. When initially keyed on i get five blinks from low fuel/oil press/ ! triangle. Nothing from the lcd. Ive had the cluster apart and have replaced the capacitor that is problematic. Im looking for the specifications on the main voltage regulator so i can replace it (I will gladly take a picture if anyone can help) as I think that is my issue ( it burned up and i cant find one like it ) ( MB troubleshooting guide says it the electronic circuit board)

Finally, I went out today to start it up and it was STONE dead.. 3 week old battery and it was running fine yesterday.. seems as the alternator went last night. No batt indicator light (it works) last night. OR i have one of those popular harness issues..

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks you guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 07:23 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
You really should post your questions on the car specific forum for best answers, here is a link;

W140 S-Class - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

ERIC.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in