BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2012
Vehicle: 2005 C230 Kompressor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Canfield
(Thread Starter)
A/C issue

Hello all! I have a 2005 C230 Kompressor and whenever I turn on the A/C it blows straight heat, it seems it may be a control unit issue as a buddy of mine told me Mercedes are notorious for doing this.
Whenever I turn the temperature to hot/cold there is no temperature change at all, I've tried adding free-on but the compressor clutch doesn't seem to engage as the free-on will not spray (Yes I did have the engine running and the A/C on Max). Turning Auto on or off seems to not effect temperature nor does A/C on or off.
My question is would this be a control unit issue or compressor issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 06:28 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2012
Vehicle: 07 E63 + 07 CLK63 Cab
Remove serpentine belt and use 7mm socket on the end of the compressor, if it turns it is not the compressor. Mine was siezed and the 7mm hex shaft would not turn even though the pulley would spin with no issue. No compressor turning means no cold and the hoses remain warm. 1 Other thought does the main fan or aux fan run when AC is turned on. Hope this helps.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 06:46 AM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orzsean View Post
A/C system is fairly complex, and there are several things that could contribute to the problem, such as the belt is loose, the bearings are out on your tensioner, the compressor is bad or the refrigerant is low.
Instead of hitting it with a shotgun, try a more decisive troubleshoot technique. If AC hex shaft is not turning when AC is selected, try to turn with serpentine belt removed, if it does not turn then the compressor is destroyed. I replaced mine with these symptoms along with dryer , got a vac and recharge, took to indy garage who specializes in Benz he got rid of the fault codes, now I have nice cold air. Mine was an 07 E63 AMG Benz, AC dryer and compressor change in 4 hours in the driveway.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2012
Vehicle: 2005 C230 Kompressor
Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Canfield
(Thread Starter)
Well I fixed it, a while back my brother got in a wreck and knocked out the ambient temperature sensor. So I replaced that and got it back in the bumper grill, reset the engine codes, and reset the car and when I got in, everything was working fine.

Few questions:
It looks as if my brother might have snapped a few of the mounts off the mesh grille, where could I get a new one for cheap? Also, there seems to be to much Free-on (It takes a while and have to rev the engine to get the a/c back to cold) could just using the A/C on max for a while fix this? Or..?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 09:05 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2012
My previous vehicle was a Nissan pathfinder and I had a similar problem. After research I found that this is common when the coolant level is low, to prevent the car from overheating it allows the hot air to blow in the cabin. A little coolant and all was fine. Try something easy like checking your fluids first, not sure if MB works the same, but worth a check.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 07:37 AM
BenzWorld Member

Post My friend Sommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommy View Post
My previous vehicle was a Nissan pathfinder and I had a similar problem. After research I found that this is common when the coolant level is low, to prevent the car from overheating it allows the hot air to blow in the cabin. A little coolant and all was fine. Try something easy like checking your fluids first, not sure if MB works the same, but worth a check.
The Nissan company must have been very lucky to have a customer like yourself. But when dealing with a siezed AC compressor that was not turning I believe the diagnosis would be replace the failed unit, which was done. I am not in any kind of state of neglect to allow any fluids to drop into dangerous areas as these are checked on a regular basis. Getting back to your point of low coolant was there a leak, blown head gasket, intake gasket leak, faulty hose, neglect, no symptoms only blowing hot air automatically, for a fact aluminum engines to not react well to overheated states and this will cause irrepairable damage to the engine if allowed to continue, you my friend have one intelligent computer controlled vehicle if it started to blow hot air into the cabin all by itself. More advanced than a Mercedes I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in