LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2012
Vehicle: '88 Mercedes 300E 3.0, '92 Mercedes 300D 2.5 N/A, '02 Volvo S60 2.4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Post '88 300E Running Terribly (Wrong ECU?)

Hello all. I am the new owner of two 124 Mercedes. I have an '88 300E and a '92 300D with a '87 190D engine dropped in her.
For the moment, my concern is with the '88. I'm having too many issues with the diesel and I need a reliable car ASAP. It seems more cost affective and less aggravating right now to fix the 300E. The trouble I am having is she's running like crap. A year ago I looked at this car and wanted to buy it but couldn't come up with the funds. She ran like a champ when I saw her then. A year later, she had sat up in "storage" and when I saw her again, there was a constant misfire and she would only run for about 15 minutes at a time until you simply could not crank her. Also, the exhaust is black and smells extremely rich.

I have done all that the extent of my knowledge and budget will allow me to do for now. Here is my list for short...

Compression test 170-175 each cylinder.
Drained the old fuel and replaced with new premium and added a double dose of injector cleaner.
Checked the fuel lines post fuel distributor.
Checked and ruled out any faulty plugs or wires.
New distributor cap and distributor rotor.
Changed the OVP relay.
Checked all the vacuum hoses for leaks.

The next thing I plan to do is to replace the 02 sensor.

Now, since I've done all of this, the misfire has gone from constant, to every couple of seconds but only at a cold start. Once I run it and let it warm up just a little bit, it almost smooths out. But after it's at running temperature, the idle drops from it's normal 600ish to 300 and starts to die.
The throttle also seems very unresponsive at all times.

I am at a loss.
I had noticed one thing, however and this is my primary question, other than asking for advice on what else I could try. I thought the ECU may have gone bad because despite the fact that I have all of my fluids and the battery is charging, all of my warning lights on the left of the cluster are on. Battery, coolant, oil, etc. On my search for a new ECU, I noticed the one I have seems to be from a 260E. A 2.6 engine and mine is of course a 3.0. The part number is "005 545 72 32". Would this ECU be installed originally, or has it been replaced with an incorrect one? And if so, might replacing this with the proper ECU fix my issue?

Thank you in advance, everyone. I do apologize for the long post. Please be gentle.

Last edited by ShaggyPowe; 07-31-2012 at 03:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2012
Vehicle: '88 Mercedes 300E 3.0, '92 Mercedes 300D 2.5 N/A, '02 Volvo S60 2.4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Bump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in