post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 02:04 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: '82 300td (sold)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benznoob26 View Post
We have another '95 540i m sport with <80k miles that came back after 3 months and needs a ton of work for only being driven 2k miles.

Anybody who drives a mid-90s BMW *or* MB had better be adept at do-it-yourself. Either one can empty your wallet if you have to take it in for every little thing. My '95 540i has seen the inside of a shop exactly three times in seven years and 138,000 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 05:11 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2009
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Benznoob26
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexChicago View Post
Great feedback. I realize that there will be $1-1.5k in maintenance a year and I'm ok with that. I just want to find one that is limited to that and doesn't have any surprises.
avoid v8's and v12's. gas, oil changes, insurance, etc add up quickly. a tune up for my 500sec ( v8) costs ~$400 for parts . a tuneup on my slk was just over $200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
Anybody who drives a mid-90s BMW *or* MB had better be adept at do-it-yourself. Either one can empty your wallet if you have to take it in for every little thing. My '95 540i has seen the inside of a shop exactly three times in seven years and 138,000 miles.
agreed on all German cars. Only reason I'm partial against 540i's is due to the timing chains being impossible to replace. Forces an owner to buy a used engine that is just as likely to stretch,skip, or break.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 08:17 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2012
Vehicle: 06 SLK55 AMG 99 CLK320 97 BMW 540I
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I see low mile CLK430 coupes going for 7500-10,000 here all the time, should be easy to find one. Buy one under 100K miles and you should be under $1500/yr if it has been maintained well. I would just wait until you find a nice executive/rich person who has taken great care of the car and is just moving on to the next nice car. Be patient, you will find them.

I have a 97 540Ia which is the E39. It is very expensive overall, but an amazing car. I would drive a CLK320 and see if its enough, just considering gas it is far cheaper to own. The BMW cooling systems seem much crappier than the Mercedes so if you go BMW make sure you buy a car with a cooling system overhaul or expect to pay to do it yourself if you want a reliable car.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 04:17 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: 2006 E320 CDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexChicago View Post
Hi guys, my name is Alex and I'm new to the forum. I'm a recent M.B.A. graduate about to start working as a consultant in november. My old car, an Acura CL Type S was totaled a few weeks ago. I am now considering purchasing a MB or BMW coupe to replace it.

I registered in this site to see if someone could help. I'd like to buy a MB which fulfills the following criteria:
- Has more than: i) 260 horsepower and ii) 232 @ 3500 torque
- Is less than $10,000
- Will require little maintenance in the upcoming 12 months (less than $1,500)

These are some of the cars that I am considering:
1- '92 mercedes sl 500 with v12 package 90k miles, '02 CLK 55 AMG 113k miles, 01 MERCEDES BENZ CLK430 135k miles
2- '03 BMW 540iA Sport M, 104k miles, recently serviced. This is the only 4-dr I am considering
3- '02/'03 330Ci although it is not superior to the hp and torque I'd want

What else should I be considering? And is it realistic to find a vehicle that meets those conditions?

Thank you, looking forward to the replies.
To be perfectly frank, if I were you just starting out in the business world with the intent of accumulating and building wealth in my working years, I wouldn't do it with a Mercedes-Benz or BMW. I would seek out and buy a replacement pre-owned Acura TL that is about as good as it gets going forward in a car. Money spent driving a Mercedes-Benz or BMW only to appear wealthy, or to stroke one's ego, is not a good use of money in my humble opinion. I have made many missteps in my life financially, and the most costly were buying new cars. Even though I could afford them since I was after all paying cash for them, it was still a poor allocation of money that could have been building wealth invested elsewhere. I like to see people get ahead financially, and I would never advise putting money into old, high-performance cars as you've outlined above. Good luck to you!

Matthew 25: 19-23

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 07-20-2012 at 04:20 AM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 09:25 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2012
Vehicle: 2001 SLK 230 Sport
Don't Get Hung Up On Numbers

Target numbers for h.p. and torque for a car are nice but weight-to-horsepower ratios are more important. 200 horses in a 3,000 lbs car is going to have different performance than a 250 horse engine in a 4,000 lbs car.

My SLK 230k is a blast to drive, has timeless lines, eats my brother's Mustang and Miata for breakfast and gets 30 mpg at 80 mph with the top down.

I bought it with 45k on it and have put another 20,000 on it, absolutely trouble free with zero maintainance costs. Like anything else, it drives like I treat it.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 09:58 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisanie View Post
Target numbers for h.p. and torque for a car are nice but weight-to-horsepower ratios are more important. 200 horses in a 3,000 lbs car is going to have different performance than a 250 horse engine in a 4,000 lbs car.

My SLK 230k is a blast to drive, has timeless lines, eats my brother's Mustang and Miata for breakfast and gets 30 mpg at 80 mph with the top down.

I bought it with 45k on it and have put another 20,000 on it, absolutely trouble free with zero maintainance costs. Like anything else, it drives like I treat it.

Your brother has a crappy mustang
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks everyone. I decided to go with the same car I had before, but a year newer - an '03 Acura CL Type S 6-speed. I'll look at MB again when I don't have to be as concerned about maintenance expenses. See you in a few years
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 11:30 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: 2001 SLK 230 Sport
My Brother's Mustang

Yup...he likes it, but has no taste. I like the color, but that's about it...

BTW: My 12 year old MB SLK is at the dealer today for a warranty repair. 12 years old and they honored the free repair. It is the only time it has been in the shop since I bought it.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 02:43 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisanie View Post
Yup...he likes it, but has no taste. I like the color, but that's about it...

BTW: My 12 year old MB SLK is at the dealer today for a warranty repair. 12 years old and they honored the free repair. It is the only time it has been in the shop since I bought it.

Sounds like you've been skipping out on maintenance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in