Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

help needed diagnosing shift problem

500 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  sebtowm 
#1 ·
hi all,
i bought a 1979 340d a few days ago and the dude gave me the car for a great price because he as he stated, "the shifter had started to stick when changing gears". i drove it for about two days thinking it was just a syncros starting to go bad but, while driving it, it suddenly stopped disengaging the clutch. i was able to power shift it in a last ditch attempt to get to a safe spot before getting towed but, unfortunately i hit a red light and was not able to get it back into first while the car was running. it shifts while the engine is off and when i start it in gear the car will lurch forward so, i originally thought it would just be the hydraulics. upon inspection i found no leaks but, replaced and bled the entire system anyways to no avail. i have a new clutch package to install but, i am not sure if this is the problem. can anyone offer any insight as to the problem?
thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.