Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Please help--Keys not working

574 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  npapajohn 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 SL500 with keyless go. A few months ago I changed the batteries on the key fob and it stopped working. The red LED light comes on but nothing happens and it is not recognized. I asked the local dealer if it could be reprogrammed or something. Without looking at it they said they can't and it had to be replaced.

So for the past few months I had been using the Key card. On the way to work it said low battery on the key card. When I got to work the key card battery was dead. I placed new batteries in the card, the LED lights work when I press the button but now the car does not recognize the key card. I now can't drive my car as it is stuck at my work. The key card does nothing, does not unlock doors or start car. I can lock the car with the metal key from the old fob. Dealer says I must buy new keys and have them programmed and I will have to tow car there.

Can anyone please help me with this. Why did both keys stop working after changing the batteries? Can I troubleshoot this and is my dealer being honest that they can't be programmed back to the car and my only option is to replace the keys?

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.