LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Jun 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Key wont unlock or lock doors or start car please help

Hello, i have a 1998 e320. A few days ago i noticed i couldnt get the doors unlcoked or locked with the smart key. I am able to get in and out of the car with the mechanical key that is attached to the smart key. Once i am in the car i can not turn the key in the ignition hence i canot turn the car on. What could be the problem?

This is what you need to know :

1. I do not have any spare key.
2. all electronic thing work in the car( radio, locks from the inside, seats etc)
3. i Have changed the key batteries
4. when i put the key in the ignition and then remove it, the keys red light flashes
5. i i tryed to jump start the car in case the batterty was the problem that didnt do anything. After doing that my sun roof wouldnt close anymore (maybe related)
6. fuses arent burnt

So im guessing the problem is my key. if it would be the ignition system i guess the key would at least unclock the doors?

Can someone help my or tell me what they think
thank you very much and forgive the english mistakes , my first language is french.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 09:59 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jul 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Benznoob26
if your fob doesnt unlock/lock the doors your key fob battery maybe dead? try to replace it. other than that you'll likely have to take it to the Mercedes dealer.

the '98 e320 keys are fob's right? as in they are not your standard metal key? does your dash say anything when you put the key in and try to turn?

first thing i would try to do is pull the steering wheel to the left and right when trying to turn the key. sometimes tumblers lock up.

most mercedes from the mid 90's and newer have a theft feature. There's a ring around the ignition tumbler, essentially a sensor that tells the computer the key is near the car. sometimes they come lose. try to push it in it could've come loose.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: