post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2009
Vehicle: 2005 E320 CDI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Spilled Drink / Soda on Command System

So I had a nightmare of a situation happen. In my father in laws SLK 350, the drink holder is located directly above the Navigation Command System. Knowing this was an issue and even if you are careful, you still can have water (condensation) from a cold drink drip onto the command system. Well, I placed a soda unopened in the cup holder. In my rush, I forgot about it and it exploded in the heat. The top of the soda exploded so only about 10% of the soda actually spilled. Two days later, the radio started to act up. I removed the radio from the car and realized I was going to have to purchase a new radio. This command system has sat radio and is navigation compatible (not activated so it is basically just a radio). I call the dealer and almost passed out at a new cost of $5,500.00 and with tax, close to $6,000.00 for just the cost of the unit. I could not believe it!! After multiple calls on different options, none that seem good I was recommend to a person that might be able to help. I called Jim LaPlant from Autoccessories, Inc. (404-277-9383) in the Atlanta GA area. He is very familiar with MB cars and said he could get the radio back into working condition for a reasonable price that was much lower than the $6000.00 that I thought I was going to have to fork out. Jim came out to my office and replaced the parts that were broken and it is now working. He really helped me out. One other thing to note other than never putting a drink above your command system and never leaving a soda unopened in your car - in the process of cleaning up the car, I used light water and a paper towel on the screen of the command unit and it scratched it all up bad. Do not use paper towels on these command units. For what ever reason, it is like sand paper on these screens. Not sure how MB $6000.00 command unit can't make a scratch proof screen is almost unbelievable as putting a cup holder above the unit!! Love German Engineering but MB should know better than this! Jim also replaced the screen and it now looks brand new!!! Highly recommend him if you are in need of this or any other radio problem or modification!!!

Last edited by sschwan; 06-20-2012 at 06:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 10:34 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2010
Vehicle: 99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
>>replaced the parts that were broken

What did he replace?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 02:05 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2011
Vehicle: 1985 Mercedes Bens 300 Turbo Diesel
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2009
Vehicle: 2005 E320 CDI
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
He replaced several parts at a minimum including the screen and the circuit board behind the face plate. I believe he compiles units over time and has spare parts so he can rebuild a command unit if necessary. The command unit only consists of a few parts - CD player, two circuit boards, the face plate with all the buttons, the screen and Nav unit if navigation is installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in