AZ Drivers: Your experience @ emissions stations; the visual (tamper) inspection. - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 1990 300E
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question AZ Drivers: Your experience @ emissions stations; the visual (tamper) inspection.

Greetings BenzWorld!

I tend to get a little long winded when I write, but I want you to have as much background, and as few follow up questions as possible, so bear with me.

It breaks down like this:

Just recently purchased a 1990 W124. Not really a looker, but it purrs, and drives smooth + the price was sooo right, couldn't resist. The seller was really flexible and willing to work with me while I secured the funds (not going to bore you with my personal drama, but suffice it to say, I was STRAPPED for cash before making this purchase) His willingness to work with me should have been a red flag, but I NEEDED to replace my old clunker ASAP, and it was the best running car on CL in my price range. Oh well, water under the bridge, I think the poor guy I bought it from found out the issue with the car as well, and was just trying to get his money back. No hard feelings here.

So my wife goes to register it, and finds out that the seller never even got it registered in his name. It's also up for emissions. Uh oh, this is starting to stink BAD...

I start to do some digging and find out you can check vehicle emissions history on the MVD site. (Wish I knew this BEFORE buying, live and learn I suppose...) I run the VIN and get this, note the date and test time.

Ah ha. That's why he sold it, couldn't get it smogged. I click on the submit button for for info and get this page:

Ok, that's a strange discrepancy. Compression kinda kills the pics, but on the first page, the EVAP test fails. However, when I click for details, it says "PASS".

I Google the location of the carbon canister, and run outside to check and see if it's there. Big empty space. Bummer.

Now as I understand, AZ emissions stations don't do an equipment check on EVERY vehicle that comes through. I suppose it's just not practical. I don't really have time to track down a replacement canister from a wrecker, and getting a new one is NOT in the budget, so my question to y'all is:

In your PERSONAL experience, how often have you gotten an inspector that did a thorough equipment inspection?

Please include in as much detail as you can remember, information on factors such as date/time (weekday/weekend, AM/PM) and how busy they were. My theory is that the busier they are, the more they just want to get people through.

Of course, any other pertinent information/ideas are welcome as well!

Thanks in advance!

(Sorry to post a question before properly introducing myself, but the clock is ticking on this problem, and it's crucial that I get this car legal and insured in a timely manner, hope you understand...)

Last edited by Frankie.G; 06-10-2012 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Tried to fix image quality.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: