LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Feb 2011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
99 C230 finally posting an introduction

I have used this site for a ton of great information. Realized I had signed up over a year ago but never posted. So here is the background.

I am restoring a 75 Alfa Spider for a daily driver. Not going for concours, just bringing her back to a good condition. Before that, I had no idea about working on cars. This has been something I wanted to do and has been a lot of fun and frustration. But I have become incredibly comfortable with putting my hands into a car and tracking down a problem. Which leads into why I am on a Mercedes forum.

My significant other inherited a 99 C230 Kompressor from her father after he passed. It has become her daily driver and has been for the most part a good car. I first found this forum when I was researching the windshield wiper not working well. Greased it up and it works like a champ. Next I had to research a cold start problem and found it was probably the crank shaft or cam shaft sensor (as I write this I don't remember which without going back and looking). Had a local mechanic with Mercedes experience take a look at it with that information and he agreed and it turned out to be the problem.

Recently we have had a Kompressor issue. No boost, car loosing all power at high rpms. Again, this site was great in tracking down potential problems. I will be posting a question soon (my first on here) but it looks like it might have been as simple as a mechanic not plugging the electrical into the air bypass valve tight enough. However, I now have a fair amount of experience taking the air box, air bypass valve, oil vapor separator and MAS apart and putting it back together!

Next I plan on taking the entire supercharger line apart including the inter-cooler and cleaning it out as there is a fair amount of oil buildup from the oil vapor separator. The separator has already been cleaned out and the hose from the supercharger is clear and flexible. The hose from the engine to the separator is cracked and needs to be replaced so I will be ordering that.

There will be more to do I'm sure. I plan on keeping this car running well as long as I can. It just went over the 200,000 mile mark but Old Red is doing well.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 01:02 PM
BenzWorld Extremist
Date registered: Feb 2012
Vehicle: 2007 Mercedes-Benz C230, 2007 Chevy Equinox, 2003 Saab 9-3 2.0t, 1996 Chevy Tahoe, 2000 Ranger R83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome to Benzworld.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 08:58 PM
Outstanding Contributor
Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Welcome to Benzworld

"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend, if you have one."
- George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: