New to MB... Buying an E55 AMG, Car hasn't been moved since 2007 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: May 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New to MB... Buying an E55 AMG, Car hasn't been moved since 2007

Hey guys as the title states... I am new to Mercedes Benz. I was given the opportunity to buy a friends mother's 2004 E55 AMG. The car has 7000 Original Miles on it. The reason I am posting up is the car has been setting outside and hasn't moved an inch or been started since 2007. I tried to start it but the battery was obviously dead and was told by my friend it would have to be towed to a dealer to be "reset" before it would start anyways... What does this mean? Is this true? and Also since the car has set so long do you guys think the engine will be okay? seals, gaskets, valves? Any red flags I should be worried about? If you all were to buy this fine car what would be your approach at getting it back on the road?

Any and all help is appreciated!

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 11:43 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1070 Post(s)
I know nothing about reseting the car codes with dead battery. You should only need radio code.
Since 2007 the gas turned probably into the gunk. I would not turn the engine without disconnecting the tank and putting aux tank with fresh gas. Hopefully injectors did not gunk bad enough or otherwise you will have to take whole system apart. You can use starting fluid to save battery discharge. If the engine starts, than you can worry about dropping the tank and cleaning the bottom with strainer.
Good luck and have fun.
2004 AMG with 7k miles sure is tempting.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 04:27 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jul 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Benznoob26
no, the friend is wrong. nothing should need to be reset. you just need to to put a new battery in. turn the key, DONT START, and see if in any codes pop up, borrow or buy an obdII code reader, they're cheap and will tell you if anything is wrong with the car. If everything appears ok i'd consider buying it for CHEAP. find out why it's been sitting and don't pay anything near KBB/NADA value. It's pretty suspicious they wouldn't invest $1-2k to get it running to sell. Also ask them why they don't just do that.

DIY Fuel Tank Restoration

You will need tires, new engine oil and filter is important, would be smart to put new transmission/brake/radiator fluid in it. I'd estimate around $1200, but like I said their story is off. and don't trust them because you know them. seals/gaskets in engine should be fine.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: