NEED ADVICE ON HOW TO PROCEED - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 09:58 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
The beef with indy is over $70, so I would not worry about it.
The "s**t" between indy and MB manger should be between them as well. I would focus on working the repair with MB as this is the main issue. As mentioned - you choose not to tell us your location, so we can't focus our advise, but different states have different laws how much work can be put on the car without owner signature.
So I would make one more call to MB manager asking for firm date for the repair. If they misdiagnosed the issue and want to charge you - that is what 800 FOR MERC phone line is for.
Obviously getting the car without paying what they want will be difficult, so you might be forced to pay the bill and make the complain later.
Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Just an update. I went to MB and they changed their story. From he tech (I was mistaken when I said SM) saying it didn't need an EIS. To, "well, the new EIS didn't work but you still need an EIS bc the old one didn't either" So I have to pay for the part, they have ordered a steering lock part--but get this, it's on back order til May 31! The bill is going to be a fortune, I'm screwed--and in my heart of hearts, I don't think this part will solve the prob.

FYI-I have never had mechanical probs with this car. One morning, the key wouldn't budge, the radio was on as was the SRS light.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 03:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
That dealer sounds like nothing more than a parts swapper. As I understand it, the DAS Xentry diagnostic systems don't tell them "change this part and if that doesn't work, change some other part". That systems scan, coupled with the WIS, should narrow the problem down right away. And I don't buy that story about the new and old EIS either, sounds like horse hockey.

Now you gave us a couple more symptoms. If you left the radio on the night before it should come on when you insert the key, so that is normal. I don't know what to make of the SRS light, at least in light of your other symptoms. Hopefully someone else will.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 06:35 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikmann View Post
That dealer sounds like nothing more than a parts swapper. As I understand it, the DAS Xentry diagnostic systems don't tell them "change this part and if that doesn't work, change some other part". That systems scan, coupled with the WIS, should narrow the problem down right away.
Quite right.

For those interested in the technicalities here, I've dug out some WIS details on the DAS for this car. If you don't reach the DAS requirements with the key in posn 0, you cannot turn the key to posns 1 & 2.

Now the OP says that the key will not turn (at all?), so we have to assume that it sticks in posn 0. This is where the steering lock is released, and you can hear the lock mechanism move. This is important to know, but has not been stated. I'm not sure what key position turns on the radio.

Also shown below (for interest) are the diagnostic tests available in 1990 to test the operation of the DAS using the old HHT hand-held tester plugged into the diagnostic socket. It is clear that the key, the EIS and the steering lock can all be validated by the MB test equipment.

My money would be either on the IR transponder in the remote key, or the IR transponder (L11) in the ignition switch, which is replacable. I doubt if the EIS is the problem.

A new (spare) key is required anyway, so should be ordered now.

With the test gear available at MB, there is no reason for any doubt about the operation of these components without part swapping!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf W210 DAS.pdf (684.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: pdf W210 DAS test.pdf (555.3 KB, 39 views)
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2012
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Allow me to add some detail:

My husband drove the car at 7:30AM all was well. At 10AM, I went out to the car and BEFORE I put my key in, I couldn't understand why the radio was on. Then I put my key in (it was at the 11 o'clock angle) it would not budge, in either direction and the SRS light was on. The key could still lock/unlock my doors. It was a rainy morning if that means anything.

One other question, am I allowed to ask for the EIS back, supposedly the one that I "own" now? I think they put my old EIS in...can I keep the new one? and the key?
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 03:46 AM
Outstanding Contributor

i would say that the fault was present before you entered the car.

a) SRS warning light should come on for 3 seconds in Ig switch posn 1, as a diagnostic check. Without the engine running the SRS system is not operable, and the warning light should not be permanently lit.

b) radio is powered from +12v dc 15R. This is Ig sw posn 1,2,3. (NOT posn 0)

Regarding what parts are yours after this repair. Unless the replacement EIS was on an 'exchange' deal, everything on the invoice is yours, including the key. Of course if you subsequently can prove that your old EIS is not really faulty, that will bring up a new can of worms....
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 08:15 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyhole View Post
...b) radio is powered from +12v dc 15R. This is Ig sw posn 1,2,3. (NOT posn 0)...
keyhole, my radio has power in position 0 so something must have changed on more recent cars. The only possible difference between milesaway's car and mine is I have the COMAND radio. But the radio should not have power without the key inserted. Both of ours are a US made facelift E320.

Last edited by Musikmann; 05-03-2012 at 08:18 AM.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 10:28 AM
Outstanding Contributor

mm - you could well be right here.

I've taken another look at the W210 circuit diagram shown for 'from 05/99'. I think that I am wrong with my statement above, reference to the radio power. Both with/without CODE 810 Sound system, the radio is shown fused via 2 fuses:

1) Fusebox F4 (trunk) fuse f5 (25A) powered from cct 30 (continuous +12v dc).
2) Fusebox F1 (engine) fuse f11 (15A) powered from cct 15R (ignition sw in posns 1,2,3.

So the radio can be ON without the key in place. If it behaves like mine on my 2004 CLK, if I remove the key when the engine is switched off, the radio switches off automatically. With the key removed, if I switch the radio ON again it will come on. After 30 minutes a message on the cluster warns me that I am running down the battery. The radio remains on, however.

I don't see that this has affected the OP's key turning issue.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 10:40 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
keyhole, I tried mine earlier because I was not sure. I just went to the car, put the key in the ignition, and switched on the COMAND. If I remember correctly, and like yours, if I remove the key when the radio is on it turns itself off. I'll have to try turning it back on with the key removed just to see.

Agreed this has nothing to do with the OP's issue.

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 06:36 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle: 1999 E320, 1975 450SEL, 1979 280SE
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Yes, I can turn the radio on with no key in the ignition. Perhaps, husband turned it on after removing the key. But, as has been said, this really has no bearing on the issue... unless, the battery was drained to the point where the key wouldn't respond when OP tried to start the car. I don't know, but will be interested to learn the outcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in