Should I use this thread as my Umbrella, what should I do thread? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Apr 2012
Vehicle: 1985 300SD with a bad transmission and a 1985 300SD with a good transmission
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Should I use this thread as my Umbrella, what should I do thread?

Or start one in the W126 sub-forum?

I'm bored nurse with a few hobbies. One is "prepping". One of the other forums I'm on a guy had posted extolling the 1981-1985 300td/sd as a fantastic emergency use vehicle. I spent the next year researching it and talking with him. He runs half a dozen off WVO and anything else he can dump into his 300gal tote and filter down to 0.5microns. He has a combined mileage of ~2 MILLION across the 6 or 7 he operates.

I had a thousand bucks burning a hole in my pocket so went on CL and found a kid with one for sale for $800. I went with my forum-buddy to look at it. The kid had torn apart the inside...every switch removed, the windows off the mounts and basically nothing worked by his testimony. The kid told us he hadn't been able to start it in a year so I figured it's probably been sitting 14-18 months. My buddy hooked it up to his car battery, sprayed some starter fluid in the carb and it roared to life with a burst of black smoke.

I signed the paperwork and came back the next day with tags, my car and a friend to drive my SRT-6 home.

I did some basic stuff:
Replaced the battery
Changed Oil, oil filter, air filter, both fuel filters.
Filled tank the other 1/2 way with fresh diesel and a bottle of HEET

The 2nd fuel filter had water in it So I refilled the tank and added a bottle of Seafoam. I plan to do this a few more times the replace the filters again. Thoughts here?

Things that don't work:
Odometer, dash lights, starting without shooting starter fluid into the airbox thing (thinking this is the starter), blows white smoke for about 30 seconds when it first starts, antenna up/down (stuck up, don't care if this works), sunroof (really sad), all windows are off tracks, kid broke all the wood except for 2 of the center pieces and lost the center console piece, kickdown (I manually downshift if I'm merging), all the switches in the center console are in a bag in the trunk, the AC and heat won't blow except for about 3 seconds when I first turn the key, power seats (annoying because kid before me thought he was gangster so I'm stuck with the seatback all the way back), battery will discharge if the car is left unattended (thus, disconnect switch added to the cab for battery when car is not being driven).

I'm not too worried about the antenna or the AC though I'd love if the AC worked. Hopefully the other stuff will resolve once I put all the switches back in (going to do that today).

Plans:
Running it on WVO/anything I can put in the tank. This is why I bought the vehicle. I'm in the process of getting people to give me their oil.

Putting windows back on rockers.

Replacing all fuses.

Using the DIY section to try and fix my odometer and try to isolate the discharge issue.

Trying to figure out the rest of the stuff so that the car will at least turn on when I tell it to and the windows/sunroof will open/close when I want.

If this stuff starts proving problematic I'm thinking I'll part out the car to get my money back (thoughts on how to do this?) as the body is in pretty good shape and spend $2k-$3k on a good one.

I really do enjoy driving this car though and if I can resolve those issues and use it as a test bed for my WVO experiments I'll probably keep it and turn it into a crazy "in case of zombies" car as they're pretty over-engineered and seem to last 700k+ miles.

Please, ask me questions and give me advice. Also, if I should move/add/link/copy this thread to the W126 subforum just let me know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 07:01 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Welcome to Benzworld, you will not get many tech answers on this part of the forum so best to post on the 126 forum;

W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

ERIC.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 07:10 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2012
Vehicle: 2007 Mercedes-Benz C230, 2007 Chevy Equinox, 2003 Saab 9-3 2.0t, 1996 Chevy Tahoe, 2000 Ranger R83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome to Benzworld.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in