LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Your Opinion on 91' 350 SDL?

I owned a 1987 300SDL for many years and it expired in 2002. It was the finest car I've ever owned. I should have put in a used motor, but I didn't and shame on me. Since then I've been driving a 1999 Volvo S80 that is well over 220,000 and going strong.

But I loved that 300SDL

I have a chance to pick up a 1991 350SDL, 134,000 with a newly rebuilt trans, new brakes, new paint and an AutoCheck score of 53, avg being 19-36.

What is the common opinion on the 350SDL? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

I'm going to look at the car on Wednesday. Anything in particular I should be looking at?

Thanks,
Michael William
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 08:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2009
Send a message via AIM to Benznoob26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael William View Post
I owned a 1987 300SDL for many years and it expired in 2002. It was the finest car I've ever owned. I should have put in a used motor, but I didn't and shame on me. Since then I've been driving a 1999 Volvo S80 that is well over 220,000 and going strong.

But I loved that 300SDL

I have a chance to pick up a 1991 350SDL, 134,000 with a newly rebuilt trans, new brakes, new paint and an AutoCheck score of 53, avg being 19-36.

What is the common opinion on the 350SDL? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

I'm going to look at the car on Wednesday. Anything in particular I should be looking at?

Thanks,
Michael William
From what i've read the top end's go out on 350sdl's, yet they still seem to be a reliable car. SERIOUSLY check into what shops did the trans and paint work. seriously look into the edges of the every panel and in the door jambs/trunk. MAACO quality paint shops won't last 2 years. And trans rebuilds can go even quicker if done improperly. check under the car for rust and under the hood. check your fluids. subtle things will tell you how its been taken car of. The search bar will tell you a lot.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2012
(Thread Starter)
Benz, I guess my main concern is the "rod bending" problem. Is this a common occurrence? I was a mechanic back in the 70's and know nothing about newer cars, but I feel like I know what to look for - as you said about rust and fluids. I'm more concerned with buying a car that will need a used engine soon.

Here's my predicament. My commute is 3 hrs a day - roughly 28 to 30,000 a year. The Volvo is getting old and I can't see wasting 25 G on a car that will have an additional 150 G on it in five years, then having to do it all over again (I retire in 10 yrs).

I figure that I will have to buy used Malibu or something like it for 12 G, beat the crap out of it for five years and do it again for the remaining time. 25 G across the next 10 yrs on crap cars beating me up on the highway.

I would rather spend 8G now on an older Mercedes diesel that I might be able to coax for the next 10 years. Can the 1991 350 SDL get to 450 G without bending a rod? That's my main concern. Hell, I don't mind getting a used motor when the time comes, but I don't want it to be tomorrow

What is your, or anyone else's, thinking on this?

Thanks, Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in