post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
My Service Records

Hello:

I am new to this board. I am in a dispute with the owner of a car detailing business. My car was damaged during the detailing. The owner has a "relationship" with a Mercedes Benz in Ontario. Somebody working out of that location disclosed to him information about my service records dating back to 2010. He feels this now gives him an out and is denying the repair. I feel this information should come under the privacy act and would be confidential. I did not give permission for them to talk to a third party about my service records. Am I right, and what is my recourse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 04:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
How does the detailer figure that gives him an out? Did you have a previous accident in the same part of the car?

In the U.S. it's virtually impossible for even the actual owners to get a copy of the service records because (supposedly) MB now dictates that and cites the privacy act. I parenthesized 'supposedly' because I have yet to see anything official in writing from MB.

If I were you I'd contact MB of Canada and lodge a formal complaint.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 07:58 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2011
Vehicle: 1983 380SEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikmann View Post
How does the detailer figure that gives him an out? Did you have a previous accident in the same part of the car?

In the U.S. it's virtually impossible for even the actual owners to get a copy of the service records because (supposedly) MB now dictates that and cites the privacy act. I parenthesized 'supposedly' because I have yet to see anything official in writing from MB.

If I were you I'd contact MB of Canada and lodge a formal complaint.
The Privacy Act and the Freedom of Information Act are laws pertaining to the US Government.

State and other governmental organizations have implemented similar laws, regulations or policies pertaining to privacy and disclosure of information.

Many non-governmental organizations establish policies as to privacy and disclosure of information.

A rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a rose will possess the rose's fragrance.

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)

Last edited by TalkieTime; 04-16-2012 at 08:01 PM.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 09:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2010
Vehicle: 99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What did they deny to repair?
What was the damage to the car when it was detailed by the company?
Did the service record show anything to back them up against repairing the damage?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2012
(Thread Starter)
The detailer completely pulled out my door lock button which triggered the central locking system and the car not starting-1995 C220. Then he tried to force the trunk lock open. it jammed, as well as the driver's door lock. The owner agreed to pay for the trunk lock but not the door lock. He found out i had replaced the drivers door lock at Mercedes years ago and then 5 years later went in because it was sticking. They shot a bunch of lubricant in it and it was fine. He decided it was not working at the time of the detailing and refused to replace it.

This tale of woe has a happy ending. When they drilled out the jammed trunk lock and replaced it with a new lock, the driver's door was working again. Must have been related to the central locking system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in