LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Apr 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
My Daughter called tonght

She's 2 hours away at school with a 2000 430CLK, she said it was making a "noise", she said it wouldn't shift out of 1st so she pulled over, shut it off then restarted it and it seemed to shift fine except for a low humming noise until it shifted into 3rd gear and then it went away.

Any ideas? Thanks for any help signed Father of College Student
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 07:16 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
There is a dedicated forum for the CLK-Class so you might look there. Scroll down from this general forum until you see the coupes and cabriolets section and look for the W208. But my wildest guess is it sounds transmission related so it might need the control unit scanned.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 07:26 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jan 2010
Vehicle: 99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I suspect transmission is acting up. When, what was the last service done to the car? Was it really cold last night?
Worst case is transmission is going bad, it's costly. However, a simple fix for it may be just some fluid addition. But transmission fluid should not need to be added unless there was leak. Most of us don't look where the car was parked for signals to anticipate car problem caused by leaks. I suggest not to drive the car until someone can check it out,; driving it may worsen the problem. Meanwhile, your can carpool or rent a small car for a week because her MB can stall at any moment unexpected.
W210 forum got great info in the stickies for transmission problem or related problems.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 12:15 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Feb 2012
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
the 722.6 transmission may be leaking at the pilot bushing. You won't see fluid under the vehicle, it will however wick up the wiring harness and into the cabin and short out the transmission control unit. if you pull up the pass footwell carpet ther should be a plate that you can unbolt and the transmission control unit is under the plate. With the key off unplug the unit and see if there is fluid in the harness.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: