New member intro - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2012
Vehicle: 1995 Mercedes Benz E420
Location: I live on 15 acres in the mountains of the Kettle River Valley of NE Washington state.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New member intro

Greetings BenzWorld,

I joined this group a few weeks ago and finally find time for introducing me and my Benz. I am the proud owner of a 1995 E420 Sedan, my first and only Benz. I purchased it many years ago specifically to drive from the far NE corner of Washington State to the SF Bay Area, 3 times per year. I was employed as a Software Engineer for ADP, Inc in San Ramon, 15 miles from Livermore, where my folks have lived since 1957. I took this telecommuting position so that I could visit them throughout the year.

Before buying the Benz I had a Toyota Supra which I allowed by son to “modify” with downpipe, intake, upgraded turbo, computer this and computer that, etc. With 400 HP at the rear wheels on the dyno, the car became one I did not enjoy driving much (became too tweaky and loud) on my 2,500 mile trips, so I sold it an bought the Benz. What a delight the car has been. I bought it from a private party on a Wednesday, had the local dealer go over it on Thursday and took it on a 2,500 mile trip on Friday. It was love the first day and I have never been disappointed with it.

My typical trip was to leave the mountains of NE Washington where the car performs oh so well through the winding traffic free highway 395 South to Interstate 84. A lovely drive along the Columbia River to Interstate 5 South brought me into Roseburg, Or to have dinner and spend the night with my mother-in-law. Up early next morning and I am straight down through the mountains of Southern Oregon and Northern CA. The car handles so well at speed through the mountains I am totally impressed.

I arrive at my folks house in time for dinner and a good nights sleep in my old bed. For a week or 2 I go into work and during the evenings and weekend I visit with sisters, brother, #1 son and family. This is a really great job.

Time to return home I head North on 5 to Sacramento and take 80 to Reno. This is a great run as I fly over Donner summit, loving the power of the sweet V8 and the handling of the tight suspension. I arrive in Sparks about noon, lots of time to visit aunts, uncles and cousins. Next morning after a leisurely breakfast I am off to one of my favorite parts of the trip, flat out desert all the way to Winnemucca, 165 miles in 2 hours to the minute, getting 29.9 miles per gallon. Amazing car.

That evening I arrive at my cousins cattle ranch in Harper, OR, to spend the night and visit more family, Next morning it’s Snake River Idaho foothills and back home about midnight. Another wonderful trip. Part of the beauty was my employer paid me mileage so 3 times per year I would have $1,000+ check that I kept in an account reserved for the Benz. This fund allowed me to properly maintain the car, replace old hoses, wiring harnesses, timing chain, etc, etc. During the winter I store the car and come spring I can hardly wait to freshen her up and head for the hills. I am getting itchy as I write this.

Ah but times change. I made that circuit for 9 years before losing my job to an H-1B visa holder. That was 3 years ago and have yet to find another telecommuting position, I have retired. I guess it is time to part with my Benz, a sad day, I will sure miss scooting around these hills on a sunrise, but I am coming to accept that my pension cannot support an aging Benz. $1,000 timing chains were fine when I was working, but hard to justify now. I think we will enjoy the next few months together then part in the fall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 04:38 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2012
Vehicle: 2007 Mercedes-Benz C230, 2007 Chevy Equinox, 2003 Saab 9-3 2.0t, 1996 Chevy Tahoe, 2000 Ranger R83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 06:28 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
We all have to retire sometime, but the Benz will go on to serve someone else. Enjoy your retirement, heading that way myself.

ERIC.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in