post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Mar 2012
Vehicle: 1994 E320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New to BW and MB

Greetings from rainy Central California!

I've owned a Honda product since 1995, Acuras and Hondas, but have grown tired of sending payments to American Honda Finance. Our leases ended on Feb1 and we bought a 1994 E320 with 160K miles—pretty low mileage, no? Less than 10K a year. It looks like hell, though.

I probably made a mistake. I've done virtually zero auto maintenance in 13 years and know almost nothing about auto repair. I surfed into this forum when Googling the E320 and when trying to figure out why my car was making each new noise it made.

I've got a couple of questions I'll start new threads for, hopefully in the proper areas, so I'll keep this short. We've sunk $1,500 into the E320 and it runs very well. When it starts. We've been through two battery-drain episodes, which have been quite frustrating.

We've had it with the E320 and have decided to unload it and pick up a 1998 C280 Sport with 167K miles. It's a salvage title so we researched the VIN and learned it was a rebuild in 2007. With research, I learned that model had a problem in that MB Germany failed to notify MB US that the car was supposed to use synthetic oil. As a result, owners tried to go too long on a crankcase of organic oil and sludged up their engines. I figure that was likely the reason for the rebuild. It wasn't totaled.

I look forward to participating in the forum, although probably more on a social basis as I lack fix-it skill. I guess I could report on what my mechanic does to my car. Every little bit of knowledge helps.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 04:15 AM
Outstanding Contributor
Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Welcome to Benzworld

"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend, if you have one."
- George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 05:52 AM
BenzWorld Extremist
Date registered: Feb 2012
Vehicle: 2007 Mercedes-Benz C230, 2007 Chevy Equinox, 2003 Saab 9-3 2.0t, 1996 Chevy Tahoe, 2000 Ranger R83
Welcome to the forum. If you plan on driving the car for a long time then the salvage title is no big deal. If, however, you plan on driving for a couple of years and then moving on, make sure you get a really good deal or you'll end up in the red.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 07:28 AM
BenzWorld Newbie
Welcome to the forums. Sorry you had so many problems with your E320. Hopefully you've used up all your bad luck, and it'll be smooth sailing (riding) from here on out, even though it's a Salvage. Best of Luck!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Vehicle: 1994 E320
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the welcomes.

The C280 Sport has about 30,000 miles on the rebuilt engine. We drove it yesterday and I must say the 1996 E320 engine is smoother and just as powerful. Or so it seems to me. He wants $3,300 out the door for the C280, which seems like a bargain.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: