LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I require assistance with my E350

First, i would like to express what an outstanding source of information this forum is. I've gotten answers to many of my problems without being a memeber, but i finally decided to be one.
I have a 2007 E350 4matic and Over the weekend, it was taken to a car wash in which an attendant drives it through, and upon exiting the wash, the abs light came on, and so did the check engine light. In addition, the vehicle won't shift out of 1st gear, plus the speedometer won't reflect the current speed. I could also feel the power steering and brakes not working.
I connected an obdII diagnostic code reader, and two codes came up. P0720 and P2158. I attepmted to get information on these codes, but couldn't find much that will help. I'm pretty good with cars and have all the necessary tools. Plus, i can't afford to take the car in this month, so i must find a way to address this problem.
Both codes are for speed sensors. So, should i consider the brake pads sensors as well, or is it something else?
If so, how can i replace the speed sensor and where is it located?
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 10:38 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Speed sensors are total different animals than pads sensors.
Somewhere on your wheels you have a ring with notches looking like machine gears. Than next to it is a magnetic sensor that "counts" the teeth at the time to sense the speed. Those things are waterproof, but maybe strong water stream bend the brackets and the sensor is not "seeing" the teeth. Check for any visible damages and dirt on the sensor and gears. Those sensors don't fail easy, so dropping new parts would be my last remedy.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the post. I checked all the speed sensors and cleaned them properly. But ended with the same result. The abs and esp lights remain on and power steering isn't working along with the speedometer and gear shift.
Any suggestions! I unplugged the battery for two hours and attempted to erase the error codes several times but they come back on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
Speed sensors are total different animals than pads sensors.
Somewhere on your wheels you have a ring with notches looking like machine gears. Than next to it is a magnetic sensor that "counts" the teeth at the time to sense the speed. Those things are waterproof, but maybe strong water stream bend the brackets and the sensor is not "seeing" the teeth. Check for any visible damages and dirt on the sensor and gears. Those sensors don't fail easy, so dropping new parts would be my last remedy.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 11:27 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
After battery disconnect you have to recalibrate angle sensors by turning the steering wheel from one end to the other.
Try to repost the question in W211 section, but it more and more looks to me like the case for Star computer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in