post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2011
Vehicle: 1990 Mercedes Benz 200E
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Angry Service Problem

I live 50 km from Durban along the north Coast of South Africa and have a 1990 Mercedes Benz 200E, which is my pride and joy and it is my third Mercedes. Even though the car is now 20 years old, it is in immaculate condition.
However, I must confess that I am very disappointed with the service I did not receive the local Mercedes Benz Dealers.
I recently experienced a starting and erratic idling problem, so I telephoned the Mercedes Dealer to book my car in for repair. However, when they heard that it was a 1990 model, they refused to make a service booking. They explained that they no longer serviced cars of that age because they do not have the diagnostic equipment to identify the problem on a car that age. They suggested that I take the car to a Bosch Dealer because they were more familiar with the fuel injector operation on the car, than was the Mercedes Dealer. I tried a second Mercedes dealer and got the same response.
Well in the end I did take the car to a Bosch Dealer and after having to take the car back no less than three times and after having to be without my car for six days and worst of all having to pay over R12,000, the car was still not right.
On the fourth occasion I took back the car back, I was talking to a young technician and told him that when I started the car, I could smell petrol fumes. I opened the hood and he immediately spotted a slight drip of petrol from the fuel regulator valve just under the air cleaner. We then discovered that the problem was being caused by the fuel regulator vale because apparently, the diaphragm in the valve had perished and fuel was leaking past it into the tappet cover via the breather pipe. The cost of a new regulator valve from the Mercedes Dealer was R7, 500. Having already spent the R12, 000, I was not prepared to spend another R7, 000 and find that I still had a problem. I therefore went to a second hand parts dealer and purchased a good fuel regulator valve for R450. It was fitted and the car once again run perfectly.
Now had the Mercedes Dealer accepted my car in the first place, they could easily and quickly diagnosed the problem and saved me a considerable sum of money.
I must also add that this situation made me very angry, because before I retired some 16 years ago, my company ran one of the biggest fleets of Mercedes Benz trucks in the country, which I purchased.
In the circumstances, I believe that Mercedes Benz owes me an apology for the shocking service I received from two of their dealers.
Kind regards
Paul M Simons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 04:06 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Boy do you have my sympathy, it is a sad day when MB do not trust their own Techs to work on an older car. But I also understand their concern as you found when you took it to a Bosch place and the Techs there got it wrong. Imagine the loss of "face" for the dealer if the Techs get it wrong.

You have to face it, the car is old but still in service and the experienced techs who once cared for these cars have mostly retired. Having said this the dealer does owe you an apology for not trying to fix it at least. They could have explained the lack of experience on their techs part but still have offered to TRY to fix it.

ERIC.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2011
Vehicle: 1990 Mercedes Benz 200E
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Many thanks for your message.
Kind regards, Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in