Putting an AMG badge on a NON-AMG Mercedes means you are a POSEUR! - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2006 CLS55 AMG
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to BrianScottBurns
(Thread Starter)
Putting an AMG badge on a NON-AMG Mercedes means you are a POSEUR!

If you're one these losers, do us all a favor and take the AMG badge OFF your non-AMG car. Just because your car happens to have an AMG sport package does not mean the car is an AMG. It really does make you look like an idiot to those of us who actually own AMG's and those of us that just know about cars in general. I'd really like to hear from those of you that have an AMG badge on your car to ask why? I know you're out there, I've seen the pictures of the cars you've posted on this very website. What made you put it there? Are you trying to impress uninformed people? I'm very curious as to the psychology behind being a poseur.

Also, aside from you looking like an ass, it devalues the rest of us that have an authentic AMG vehicles. Cheers

Brian

2006 Mercedes CLS55 AMG
2007 Mercedes CLK550 Cabriolet (AMG Sport Package)
2001 Mercedes CLK430 Cabriolet (AMG Sport Package) (Sold)
2006 Porsche Cayenne S Titanium Edition (Sold)
2000 Mercedes E55 AMG (Sold)
2000 Mercedes C230 Kompressor Special Edition (AMG Sport Package) (Sold)
1994 Mercedes C280 (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 02:06 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2011
Vehicle: 1974 450SL; 2009 CLS550
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well someone has a lot of angst built up.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
No angst...Unfortunately message boards have an uncanny ability to take what someone types as their feeling when, of course, they're just messages. One of the downsides of typing into a computer as opposed to having actual conversation, everything everyone types can be so easily taken out of context or misunderstood. Sometimes I miss old fashioned conversation :-)

I actually posted this because it seems every time I'm driving I notice another Benz with an AMG badge that was clearly put on the car for the purposes of deceit. I'm not if more and more people are doing this, or if I'm just noticing it more often. It makes me curious, so I thought I'd ask.

Brian

2006 Mercedes CLS55 AMG
post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 02:23 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: 2013 BMW X5 2009 E350 2004 Land Rover Discovery 1995 Lexus LS400, 2012 Infinity M37X, 2010 Ford F150
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Having a seven year old AMG does not make you stand out or special in anyway that you should be worried about other people emulating you.
Chill and enjoy what you have and let others do whatever they wish!!
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Actually, I was in no way worried about people "emulating" me. What sparked it was an article that I read regarding the AMG nameplate and its misuse by certain people. The article contended that by overusing the AMG badge on cars that are not AMG's could lead to AMG cars being valued lower. It was also randomly brought to my attention during a recent service visit in which my advisor made a funny comment about another customer and his "SL500 AMG". It was good for a few laughs and he began telling me that the parts department will no longer sell an AMG badge unless a customer provides a VIN # to an AMG car. So, you can have your opinion regarding this and I'll have mine. Clearly the dealerships think that adding a badge to a car that doesn't belong is a joke, and so is the person that adds the badge. It shouldn't matter that my car isn't brand new should it? I'm not the one who is pretending my car is something it is not. If I were I would have wrote that my car was a 2012. Lying is wrong, and my point is that lying about cars is just ridiculous. I find humor in it. If you don't, that's fine. I just happen to think that an SL500, in this case the one I saw was probably an 01' or 02' is a great car. You don't have to add an AMG badge to it to make it something it's not. It's a cool enough car without it.

Brian

2006 Mercedes CLS55 AMG
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 02:43 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2012
Vehicle: 90 300TE, 93 400E, 01 E430
The Brabus stealers are the ones that irk me, who do they think they are? They are all around Kirby in Houston, they are loud, some even state 6.9 on the trunk lids while others call themselves ROCKETS & just because some are sportin 35 aspect ratio fatties, exhaust that look like sewer pipes & aerodynamics that actually work @ 230mph doesnt make it right, does it? Chill Buddy, you might be special but you are far from exclusive.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcharlesjr View Post
The Brabus stealers are the ones that irk me, who do they think they are? They are all around Kirby in Houston, they are loud, some even state 6.9 on the trunk lids while others call themselves ROCKETS & just because some are sportin 35 aspect ratio fatties, exhaust that look like sewer pipes & aerodynamics that actually work @ 230mph doesnt make it right, does it? Chill Buddy, you might be special but you are far from exclusive.
Definitely agree with you! From what I know about Brabus, you are able to buy their packages in two forms. The first package gives you all of the exterior elements (like you mentioned, exhuast, rims, bodykit, spoilers) and the second package gives you all the engine and drivetrain modifications. I assume you can also buy individual pieces of each kit as well. In my opinion, if I were to buy a Brabus kit, the more important kit is the engine and drivetrain modification kit. I'll bet that most people just buy the rims and the exhaust mods and, of course, the Brabus logo and slap it on the trunk thus giving the impression that they have the full Brabus kit as opposed to just the rims and exhaust...Yet another insight into someone's character, or lack thereof. ;-)

Brian

2006 Mercedes CLS55 AMG
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 03:20 PM
MTI
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: '85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
Many AMG owners rebadge their cars for an even greater understated and stealth effect, do its all a personal matter and I could care less what badge a car sports until I'm interested in buying it. The idea that too many fakes hurts the brand has not checked the marketplace.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I suppose I should have just asked the questions "Does your non-AMG Mercedes have an AMG badge or badges on the car? If yes, did you put them on the car or did you buy the car with them on already? And if you put them on, what made you want to have them on the car?" The same question goes for cars with fake Brabus, Kleeman, Lorinser, etc...I'm wondering if it's for any other reason other than "it looks cool".

This is a message board after all, the best place for someone who is curious about something to get his questions answered.

Brian

2006 Mercedes CLS55 AMG
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 04:26 PM
MTI
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: '85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianScottBurns View Post
I suppose I should have just asked the questions "Does your non-AMG Mercedes have an AMG badge or badges on the car? If yes, did you put them on the car or did you buy the car with them on already? And if you put them on, what made you want to have them on the car?" The same question goes for cars with fake Brabus, Kleeman, Lorinser, etc...I'm wondering if it's for any other reason other than "it looks cool".

This is a message board after all, the best place for someone who is curious about something to get his questions answered.
Hate to break it to you chief, but this topic has been beaten to death in prior threads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in