Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Putting an AMG badge on a NON-AMG Mercedes means you are a POSEUR!

42K views 48 replies 19 participants last post by  Michael Pillay 
#1 ·
If you're one these losers, do us all a favor and take the AMG badge OFF your non-AMG car. Just because your car happens to have an AMG sport package does not mean the car is an AMG. It really does make you look like an idiot to those of us who actually own AMG's and those of us that just know about cars in general. I'd really like to hear from those of you that have an AMG badge on your car to ask why? I know you're out there, I've seen the pictures of the cars you've posted on this very website. What made you put it there? Are you trying to impress uninformed people? I'm very curious as to the psychology behind being a poseur.

Also, aside from you looking like an ass, it devalues the rest of us that have an authentic AMG vehicles. Cheers

#3 ·
No angst...Unfortunately message boards have an uncanny ability to take what someone types as their feeling when, of course, they're just messages. One of the downsides of typing into a computer as opposed to having actual conversation, everything everyone types can be so easily taken out of context or misunderstood. Sometimes I miss old fashioned conversation :)

I actually posted this because it seems every time I'm driving I notice another Benz with an AMG badge that was clearly put on the car for the purposes of deceit. I'm not if more and more people are doing this, or if I'm just noticing it more often. It makes me curious, so I thought I'd ask.

#5 ·
Actually, I was in no way worried about people "emulating" me. What sparked it was an article that I read regarding the AMG nameplate and its misuse by certain people. The article contended that by overusing the AMG badge on cars that are not AMG's could lead to AMG cars being valued lower. It was also randomly brought to my attention during a recent service visit in which my advisor made a funny comment about another customer and his "SL500 AMG". It was good for a few laughs and he began telling me that the parts department will no longer sell an AMG badge unless a customer provides a VIN # to an AMG car. So, you can have your opinion regarding this and I'll have mine. Clearly the dealerships think that adding a badge to a car that doesn't belong is a joke, and so is the person that adds the badge. It shouldn't matter that my car isn't brand new should it? I'm not the one who is pretending my car is something it is not. If I were I would have wrote that my car was a 2012. Lying is wrong, and my point is that lying about cars is just ridiculous. I find humor in it. If you don't, that's fine. I just happen to think that an SL500, in this case the one I saw was probably an 01' or 02' is a great car. You don't have to add an AMG badge to it to make it something it's not. It's a cool enough car without it.

#6 ·
The Brabus stealers are the ones that irk me, who do they think they are? They are all around Kirby in Houston, they are loud, some even state 6.9 on the trunk lids while others call themselves ROCKETS & just because some are sportin 35 aspect ratio fatties, exhaust that look like sewer pipes & aerodynamics that actually work @ 230mph doesnt make it right, does it? Chill Buddy, you might be special but you are far from exclusive.

#7 ·
Definitely agree with you! From what I know about Brabus, you are able to buy their packages in two forms. The first package gives you all of the exterior elements (like you mentioned, exhuast, rims, bodykit, spoilers) and the second package gives you all the engine and drivetrain modifications. I assume you can also buy individual pieces of each kit as well. In my opinion, if I were to buy a Brabus kit, the more important kit is the engine and drivetrain modification kit. I'll bet that most people just buy the rims and the exhaust mods and, of course, the Brabus logo and slap it on the trunk thus giving the impression that they have the full Brabus kit as opposed to just the rims and exhaust...Yet another insight into someone's character, or lack thereof. ;-)

#8 ·
Many AMG owners rebadge their cars for an even greater understated and stealth effect, do its all a personal matter and I could care less what badge a car sports until I'm interested in buying it. The idea that too many fakes hurts the brand has not checked the marketplace.

#9 ·
I suppose I should have just asked the questions "Does your non-AMG Mercedes have an AMG badge or badges on the car? If yes, did you put them on the car or did you buy the car with them on already? And if you put them on, what made you want to have them on the car?" The same question goes for cars with fake Brabus, Kleeman, Lorinser, etc...I'm wondering if it's for any other reason other than "it looks cool".

This is a message board after all, the best place for someone who is curious about something to get his questions answered.

#13 · (Edited)
Dude you have gone clean off the deep end!:twak: By your rationale the stock C class coupes that people are driving will become more valuable by the minute as the number of "C" AMG posers goes ever higher and the apparent number of stock C's drops!!!:yelrotflmao:

Hell, before long I'll be able buy an authenic AMG for a song.

If you are so distracted by posers to the point you cannot enjoy your car perhaps next time you shoud purchase an Invicta, a Bitter, or a Wiesmann. You don't see many Roadster posers now do you!

Cheers!

#21 ·
Exhaust looks $$

That exhaust system that this owner had installed on the E500 must have cost a bunch... He could have just saved the money he spent on the exhaust and bought a real E55. Classic!

#18 ·
+1 on the "beat to death" comment.
JMHO, but most people do not have a clue what the AMG badge means. The ones that do are not going to be deceived by a fake. So I don't see the "posers" decreasing the value of an authentic AMG.
Now, my question to Brian: I have an 81 380SL that I miraculously managed to attain a period correct Lorinser body kit for. I meticulously researched and found that it was, indeed a genuine kit. Now Lorinser in that day did many types of mods per the customer, similar to AMG. With AMG the badge could be purchased with a minumum of three AMG bits, irregardless of the type. So a steering wheel, penta rims and a bodykit would qualify you to purchase the badge.
So back to my question, am I a "poser" because I badged my SL? I am not trying and would not try to pass the car off as an original Lorinser modified Benz.
To do that (and I think this applies to both early and late models) would most certainly require documentation to justify any additional asking price.

#19 · (Edited)
No, I don't think you are...I think the market for older Benzes is much more educated buyer than that of the later models. People looking to buy an SL like yours, which is gorgeous by the way, typically have done the research necessary to know what they are getting in to. I brought up the subject because it had been a topic of conversation at the dealership during a recent service visit. From what I was told, someone had recently purchased a later model (I think it was an 01' or 02' SL) from a private sale and was convinced by the seller that the car was an AMG...This seller has actually rebadged the car as an SL55 and even had similiar exhaust installed. Now obviously this would not get past most MB buyers, but this was a younger girl whose only experience with AMG was the actual badge on the car (by seeing it on other cars while driving on the highway). So, she paid a hefty premium for the SL, only to to go the dealer to be told it was an SL 500...That's what the guys were talking about the day I was at the dealer, and they mentioned to me that it was not the first time they had seen this happen to a new service client. I think it sucks that she was taken advantage of by a fraudster, and don't believe it's entirely her fault just because she doesn't know everything about AMG and MB cars. It's not my contention that fake badged cars are devaluing other cars, it was the service advisors.

You have to agree that someone who badges a car with an AMG badge for the purposes of getting more money for it in a private sale is a shitty thing to do. They're not just poseurs, they're criminals.

Sidenote, I've never seen an 81' with a Lorinser package...It sounds like you've put a bit of money in it over the years, and have done your research into the cars history....Do you have any pictures, I'd love to see it?

#22 ·
If you're paying extra for the AMG name, and you don't know what the vehicle should have on it, you're also a poseur. So is it a crime when one poseur steals from another?

I tend to go in the opposite direction - want the goodies without the advertising. AMG isn't well known, but even lesser known are some interesting MB badges like 6.3, 6.9, 2.3-16...

Think of the fun you could have with an original Hammer, without the AMG badge on the trunk lid.

#23 ·
Very true. I have seen a few AMG's around town (there are quite a few in Phoenix/Scottsdale) and have seen some with no badges at all, AMG or otherwise. Definitely a sleeper car, and when I see them I wouldn't race for pink slips (not that I do anyway). They probably have 700HP under there if they de-badged their AMG!

There's one gentleman that has a 2008 SL65 with lots of mods, it apparently puts out close to 1000HP. So much power that it's tough to keep the car on the ground, even when starting out in second gear.

Regarding the AMG Hammer, that's the car I grew up with a poster of hanging on my wall and the car that caused me to fall in love with AMG. I'd love to be able to buy one someday.

#25 ·
MBWorld's take on AMG Poseurs

Found this on a thread on the AMG Private Lounge forum...Funny, I knew the guys at the dealership I go to couldn't possibly be the only ones who floated the idea of brand de-valuation...

Attachments

#26 ·
#30 ·
Congressional Action is needed

This re-badging issue is some serious stuff. I believe there needs to be a Congressional investigation and some laws passed to prevent such criminal behavior.

The AMG fake badging isn't the only issue here folks. Down here in Southern Illinois, there are culprits rebadging their pick-up trucks with 4x4 emblems. Yep, I'm not making this up. There are all sorts of 2WD trucks down here with 4x4 emblems on the rear quarter panel. Some even have the audacity to put a giant decal in their back window.

Some guys don't even bother to put a spring lift kit under the front end so that it sits up higher...just slap the fucking decals on it and hit the road. That takes some kahonas.

Imaging what it is doing to the 4x4 truck market down here. Why, all of these imposters out there, and suddenly the value of our 4x4's are plummeting in value...I mean W T F, how often do you need to get in 4-wheel drive anyway...so the deception is easy to pull off...just don't be driving it in deep snow where you might need a tow and someone has to
look under the front end to attach a chain.

I think I'm going to write my Congressman. I actually saw a Case IH farm tractor painted JD Green the other day....We need to nip this behavior in the bud with some stiff penalties.

#42 ·
Mercedes Benz factory, whether it's here in the US (for the ML, GLK, GL) or the factory(s) in Germany have never, and will never, place an AMG badge on a car that has not been tuned and finished in Affalterbach, Germany. If the Sport package is ordered, it does not include the AMG badge on the trunk. One of my cars is a 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet with the AMG Sport package option, and I love the car. However, it is not an AMG vehicle so I would not go out of my way to place an AMG badge on the trunk. The car is gorgeous, as are most Mercedes, and simply does not need it.

I just happen to like keeping my cars as they were when they left the factories. I don't add aftermarket rims or anything like that. The cars are a work of art, and I prefer to keep my cars stock, especially my AMG.

#34 ·
I have already stated that I believe it is unscrupulous (and illegal if you somehow manage to get it included on a title) to badge a benz (or a 4x4, or whatever) in order to make more money on a sale. However, if one owns the vehicle, one is entitled to do whatever they want to said vehicle. I could put a Ferrari tag on my SL, but it'll still be my good ol' girl. Now if I tried to SELL it as a Ferrari, that's fraud.
Just curious, db, are there actually people in southern IL that would buy a truck and not look under the thing to make sure it's a 4x4?

#35 ·
Damn, whats up with the people who do it the other way around? A friend of mine took the 6.3 Kompressor decals off, and every thing that was technically possible, and slapped a C180 Kompressor Badge on his C63 AMG :D He has done that with every high power car he has owned. Now what kind of fraud is that!!!!!

First world problems, ey?

#39 ·
Well I just bought an 07 C230. It has the AMG exhaust tips on it, and as best as I can tell it came from the factory that way. So I'm supposed to cut them off so you don't get upset. Now where did I put that hacksaw?

#40 · (Edited)
It sounds like your car has the optional AMG Sport Package (great option!). Along with an AMG exhaust, it probably also has AMG rims, and AMG body panels (rocker panels, front and rear bumper, etc) along with a few nice other sport touches. It would not have been badged with an AMG badge on the right-side of the trunk though. Many years ago I had a 2001 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. It had a supercharged 4 cylinder and was a great car. Then my older brother totalled it while be was borrowing it. He rear-ended someone on the highway at 85MPH! Even though the car was a total loss (the front-end was pushed in almost to the wheels) the car was still running when he pulled it to the side of the highway. It was equipped with Tele-Aid and they sent help to the car within 5 minutes! He walked away with no injuries. It's a testament to the cars build quality. I believe they are the safest cars on the road, that's why I've bought so many of them over the years. I'm on my sixth over the last 13 years or so and simply love the brand and will always have at least one in my garage. I have two now (it's Arizona so I'd be crazy not to have a convertible for the winter ;-) Have a good day.

#43 ·
A fellow Member of mine from the AMG Private Lounge website sent me this. I thought it was funny so I'm posting it here for you guys. It's good for a laugh or two. :) Enjoy, and have a great day everyone.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.