LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Oct 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Which one to buy?

Hello BenzWorld, I'm considering buying my first Benz. I'm "frugal" (code name for CHEAP), so I'm torn between these options:

Car #1 1999 E320 one-owner with 33k miles (seriously), asking price just under $9k

Car #2 2001 E320 with 99k miles, looks like brand new, asking price just under $7k

Car #3 2004 E320 with 134k miles, comes with 'powertrain for life' warranty, asking price $10k

1 and 2 are silver, 3 is black. I like the styling and extra goodies on #3 (E211), but as a newbie Benz owner, I also like the idea of a lifetime powertrain warranty.

Is a 13-year-old car with 33k miles more prone to needy service items than an 8-year-old that has been driven much more but well maintained?

I'm used to Asian cars, so miles don't scare me at all. I've read both good and bad stories about "mercedes last forever" and "mercedes maintenance costs will eat you alive". I do most of my own wrenching, but have never touched a German car.

I drive about 35k per year (all highway) and I look forward to your suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
See...told you i was a newbie. Obviously I meant W211, not E211... geesh
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 08:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
IMHO W211 with the same engine is worth $2000 more. Than you have age difference.
10 grands is too much, but that is where I would start negotiations.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 09:55 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Answering the question about 13 years old car with low mileage.
I experienced that on several cars that orings and gaskets like to fail at about 10 years of age. Regardless the mileage.
It all come to maintenance. Did the low mileage car have aging rubber parts replaced, or was it just sitting and rotting? Don't even try to drive it on original tires.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 10:28 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
With everything equal in terms of condition, I would go for car #2. Although the W211 newer body style is tempting, there are a lot of issues with the early models (2003-2004). Whereas the 2001 W210 is near the end of the production run and most of the bugs were gone by then.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 11:00 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2010
Vehicle: 99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Car#1 for low miles, 1 owner. But the lower body trim (black) must be painted silver for better look.
Run carfax to verify odometer, accident(s), etc.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Car#1 is actually a 2000, not a 99. carfax is as clean as they get! Thanks for the input, now I just need to find out if the maint is up to date.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 11:30 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Jan 2012
Hie.. Yes according to me you have to go for car #2...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 12:57 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwalden99 View Post
Hello BenzWorld, I'm considering buying my first Benz. I'm "frugal" (code name for CHEAP), so I'm torn between these options:

Car #1 1999 E320 one-owner with 33k miles (seriously), asking price just under $9k

Car #2 2001 E320 with 99k miles, looks like brand new, asking price just under $7k

Car #3 2004 E320 with 134k miles, comes with 'powertrain for life' warranty, asking price $10k

1 and 2 are silver, 3 is black. I like the styling and extra goodies on #3 (E211), but as a newbie Benz owner, I also like the idea of a lifetime powertrain warranty.

Is a 13-year-old car with 33k miles more prone to needy service items than an 8-year-old that has been driven much more but well maintained?

I'm used to Asian cars, so miles don't scare me at all. I've read both good and bad stories about "mercedes last forever" and "mercedes maintenance costs will eat you alive". I do most of my own wrenching, but have never touched a German car.

I drive about 35k per year (all highway) and I look forward to your suggestions.
All 3 cars look good. It should be great if you took the pictures and share them here, all 3 of them. Personally, I would go with Car #2 2001 E320 with 99k miles, looks like brand new, asking price just under $7k
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 01:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Car #1: Skip it, miles are too low compared to other cars and we all know these cars like to be driven. You will likely have some unseen maintenance or repairs possibly leaks, moisture, cats rotting from inside out, whereas on a higher mile car (not "high mileage" mind you) you will be able to see more of what needs done or just go off maintenance schedule as it has presumably been followed by the previous owners, which you would verify.

Cars #2 & 3 are close, I would pick #2 if the #3 car didn't have the powertrain for life warranty. If you plan to keep the car for a long time, buy car #3 since most of your repairs will be drivetrain related, and you would only deal with suspension, general maintenance, etc. They don't seem to have electrical issues aside from poor window motors on the rears in earlier cars. I am only speaking "if I was in your situation" here but I would go with the peace of mind offered with #3, but you must get the warranty info in writing, find out who it's provided by, what specifically (and I do mean every part noted) is covered. Good luck and share pics once you make a choice.

-Marrs

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in